Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 9, 2017   #1
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Default yellow pest sticky traps?

I know they work but some better than others. I know a few here use them so must be
experience that can cut out any research and wasted money. I've looked on Amazon.

We just had a major snow storm today but all is finally cleared for the most part and no power outages. Still some travel issues. Home bound but maybe just one more day.

Would be nice to try a home remedy until i can order and wait for delivery. I have the spider sheets and pantry pest traps that have worked in the past for those issues.
I have tanglefoot but that is in the garden shed under lots of snow and 100 miles away.

I just have a very minor tiny flighty bug, maybe i see one a day or two. Not white fly.
No signs of issues but like to nip issues quickly. This is indoors, micros, micro sunflowers, micro salad greens.

Quick home remedy? and recommendation on purchased ones?
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Try these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A15C42NJ2UB5E2

One of our master gardeners in Florida recommends these sticky traps.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I use the Seabright Yellow Sticky Traps upon the advise of Marsha. It is great on the bugs but does not catch the birds and other wildlife as some sticky's do.

Our posts crossed. Yep the one listed above.
Old February 9, 2017   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Great thanks! I could not find past posts i remembered. Good to have a nice stack even if i only need a couple....but the garden could use a few as well.
Old February 9, 2017   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I use those Amazon strips too, but I cut them in smaller pieces to conserve $$. Walmart and garden centers have strips from Safer brand in a white box that work well too.

Do you have any clear packing tape that you could wrap around a yellow index card? Can't hurt to try in the meantime.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #6
agee12
Tomatovillian™

The home remedies that I am familiar with for fungas gnats are apple cider vinegar in a tiny container, can be really small like a bottle cap, and petroleum jelly on yellow paper or cardstock.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #7
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

I started using them this season. They're amazing! I use the Neudorff brand. I stick one in a dummy plant pot and put it in the centre of my tray of tomatoes or strawberry pots. I found if I stuck it in a pot which held a plant the leaves tended to stick to it!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Update. Sticky traps working great. Just two traps hanging, (cut in half). Probably on top of the cycle. Sprayed HydrogenPeroxide dilute by half on soil before planting.
Day before. Not clear what soil was initially the culprit but having solutions helps.

I've been giving trays a shake for activity. No starts seem affected. So far.

Found an odd looking beetle and a spider hanging around. Stink bugs are few but sluggish this time of year. So the light over a soapy water pan caught nothing.