Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 1, 2016   #1
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Default Pumpkin ID help, please!

To quickly preface my pumpkin ID trouble:

I had the brilliant idea to do a trial pumpkin patch at my new house this spring. I purchased several pumpkin mixes from commercial sources and labeled the zones that each mix was planted in. Then my yard flooded. Labels floated away, seeds redistributed to dependent areas, and my brilliant idea ended up lacking in the execution.

I did have a variety that really stood out, I just don't know what it is! Here is the info:

Smooth-skinned, pale tan, lightly ribbed with uniform 10lb size and roughly 14-16" tall. Elongated, though 2/5 were slightly thicker at the blossom end than the stem end. The single vine had 5 pumpkins on it (all 10lbs), so I don't know how large they could/would have become if I had pruned a few early in the season.

If anyone can help with the ID, I would really appreciate it! I'm definitely saving seeds, though I don't know if it was a hybrid variety yet. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tan pumpkins1.JPG (74.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg tan pumpkins3.JPG (83.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg tan pumpkins2.JPG (46.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Tan pumpkins4.jpg (101.3 KB, 91 views)
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Assuming you made your original orders online and not by mail, don't you have records of what your purchased? Wouldn't that narrow down the list of possibilities? If not, do you know which vendors you made your purchases from?

Maybe Dickson? Kentucky Field?

Last edited by Scooty; September 1, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #3
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

I do indeed have records, and failed miserably in my researching before posting. My best guess is that this was part of my Sample Seed Shop mix, though I can't find anything that would match the shape and appearance on the site. I had various pumpkins from Ferry Morse, Johnny's, and Burpee in the same area, though none of the single varieties planted seem to match.

This pumpkin looks very much like a slightly larger, less ribbed and more elongated Long Island Cheese to me, which was a type that could have been in the Sample Seed mix. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate any leads!
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #4
Perennial Guru
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
I do indeed have records, and failed miserably in my researching before posting. My best guess is that this was part of my Sample Seed Shop mix, though I can't find anything that would match the shape and appearance on the site. I had various pumpkins from Ferry Morse, Johnny's, and Burpee in the same area, though none of the single varieties planted seem to match.

This pumpkin looks very much like a slightly larger, less ribbed and more elongated Long Island Cheese to me, which was a type that could have been in the Sample Seed mix. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate any leads!
It's not uncommon for mixes offered by seed companies to include a variety or two not offered individually in their catalog. Sometimes these prepared mixes include some varieties in stock that are beginning to drop in germ rate or have slow sales.

It's very hard to identify specific pumpkin and squash varieties from fruit, but this looks like it could be Dickinson, a Cucurbita moschata variety. Dickinson is an OP variety.
Perennial Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I would not get too interested in saving seeds if I were you. Pumpkins and squash are notorious for cross pollinating and you are unlikely to get offspring the same as the parents.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Remy, the owner of The Sample Seed Shop, is a member here and has always been very helpful. Try contacting her through her website and asking if she knows the variety.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote