Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old August 8, 2008   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default One Week until MAGTAG 2008!

(Cross-post on GW)

Yep, it's almost here. I have purchased tomato earrings to wear to MAGTAG, and plan to wear my tomato perfume, as I did last year.
I have a request to make - will anybody be able to stay to the bitter end to help me clean up? Usually things start winding down around 3:30 - the event NEVER lasts until 5:00.
In the past Greg F. and my brother Chris and family have kindly assisted as cleanup crew. This year, however, Greg has to leave early and Chris and his bunch will be returning from vacation and can't make the festival.
Old August 8, 2008   #2
gflynn
MAGTAG™

What Cecelia says is true. I will have to leave around 2:30PM to make my wife's suprise birthday party. I will be late coming to the birthday party anyway so I can stretch it out a bit if I need too but Cecelia could use another helper if available.

Greg
Old August 8, 2008   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Greg, don't even THINK about staying any later! My sister has volunteered to help, and I'm sure some other folks will step up.

BTW, I just remembered another non-food item that we need - cheap serrated steak knives to cut the tomatoes up with! I think my sis-in-law brought a bunch last year, but I don't remember whether she left them with me or took them home. I'll have to check the box in the basement.
Old August 8, 2008   #4
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I will help if I can make it there!
Old August 9, 2008   #5
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Cecelia:

I shoud be able to stick around and help clean up...maybe I could then bum a ride from you to the train stop?
Old August 10, 2008   #6
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Mark, of course you could bum a ride from me to the train stop. Of course, if it isn't 99 degrees like last year, you might find it a pleasant walk.
Old August 10, 2008   #7
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Cross-posted on )

Let's put together a list of who's bringing what.
I will supply all fixin's for the BLT Bar, plus various plates, napkins, and utensils, and wine. As I mentioned earlier, we probably could use some more utensils. I will supply a calculator, a food scale, and a copy of Carolyn's book. I am also hoping to have received my copy of Amy Goldman's new heirloom tomato book by Saturday, and might bring along a few other titles from my tomato library. I also will bring a few Boca Burgers, although I can't supply very many. I also will make the tip box and DH Dave and I will provide directional signs.
Dave will supply a couple pies from Dangerously Delicious, Baltimore's premier pie shop. As Rodney, the Piemaster, says, "Rock and roll and pie, baby, Rock and roll and pie!". Which reminds me - I think Dave will bring along a boom box or a DVD mix or something musical that should appeal to a wide variety of tastes (except for my Dad, who only likes classical). I think Dave's planning to bring charcoal as well, since he will be doing some grilling.
Greg F., you're bringing along home brew and lots of meat, right? And are your daughters making prizes?
I believe Janet M. said she could supply tablecloths - if this is so, Janet, can you either drop them off at my place sometime this week or come early, so we can get them on the tables right away?
We may just have a new category of prize this time if things go right - Rob Kasper, food writer for the Baltimore Sun, says he intends to participate, and if Craig from NC can make it, maybe we should have a "Celebrity/Expert favorite category." I'm getting nervous - I have a bunch of ripe Brandywines, Mortgage Lifters, German Red Strawberries, Black Cherries, and Sungolds right now (the're going to my sister so she can make her Scalloped tomatoes dish ahead of time), but I have no idea how many toms will be ready next Saturday - pray for good weather for ripening! And while you're at it, pray for good weather - if we could have even half as nice a weekend as this one, we'll be in luck.
Old August 10, 2008   #8
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Meant to say cross-posted on GW.
Old August 10, 2008   #9
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecelia,

We are bringing meat of all sorts, some charcole, some plastic beer cups and homebrew beer; coin envelopes for seed swaping and "Best tasting tomato" awards for the top 6. These are being made by my daughters.

Certianly a copy of Dr. Carolyn's book like many of us.

and... metal knives for cutting tomatoes. Mine are kinda dull so if someone else has better then so be it.

It looks like my family will participate. :-)

Greg
Old August 11, 2008   #10
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I almost forgot!

I will bring $80 of pennies for the tomato taste contest.

Greg
Old August 12, 2008   #11
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

More supplies we need:
- Coolers with ice
- Soft Drinks
- Bottled Water
It doesn't look like the weather will be as hot as last year; in fact temps have been running about 10 degrees lower than usual for the past week or two in Baltmore. There is a chance of showers, but we usually get the "rush hour storms" in the afternoon, so I'm hoping that if it does rain, we'll be done grilling. The pavilion is covered, and we're having this thing RAIN or SHINE. If need be, we can order pizza - or BBQ from this great little rib joint down the street from the park.
Old August 12, 2008   #12
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

If no one offers the supplies listed above I will take care of it. I will definitely have some coolers and extra room. Also, I have a gazebo that I can set up above the grill if rain is an issue. I doubt it will be since they tend to come late as you said.

Greg
Old August 12, 2008   #13
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Tomato folk,

I just purchased $100 dollars of pennies for the tomato taste judging. Thats 10,000 pennies.

Our judging scale is 0 to 3 pennies:
0 - bad or flavorless
1 - good
2 - very good
3 - in my top 3

I figure that average rating per tomato will be 1.5 pennies. (no cutting pennies please). This means that:

(10,000 pennies)/((100 varieties)*(1.5 pennies/variety) = (people tasting)

hence 66 people including one pregnent women can judge without us running out of pennies.

Very nice.

Greg
Old August 14, 2008   #14
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Let's make sure there is a can for $$ donation...since I am taking the train...it's hard to help out with supplies...but I certainly want to contribute $$$ to help with costs.
Old August 14, 2008   #15
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Mark, there will be a tip box, just like last year. Thanks for your generosity!

Greg, since there is a light rail line nearby, do you think anybody will put your pennies on the railroad track to flatten them?