Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 22, 2018   #1
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Default Seneca speckled egg

I received this seed about three years ago in the mystery swap here. I have held onto them until I could get my hands into some really good soil. I've got about 10 seed and don't want to ruin it. I'd like to grow them out for more seed to expand. I guess they may not taste good or grow well but I think they look so special I want to have them as part of my regular growers.

Have you grown these? Any background? There wasn't much online. I'm thinking a seed savers exchange member might know more about them. I've never seen a bean this shape before.

Thanks Lindsey
Old February 22, 2018   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

From an EBAY seller: "'Seneca Speckled Egg' Pole variety, stringless. Neat little round beans that resemble a bird egg. As the pods mature they develop a purple mottling to them. This is a late maturing bean."

From sampleseeds.com: "This is a really neat bean. As the pods plump up they get striped with dark purple and the mottling becomes increasingly stronger as the pods age. The bean seeds are small and spotted and do resemble birds eggs. It is a heavy producer of bean pods. The only downfall of this bean is it is late to fully mature, mid October. So seed savers in short season area may have trouble with seed collection."
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #3
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I was hoping to know where they came from. A bit of history since the shape is unusual. Maybe they were shared in SSE first by someone.
Old February 22, 2018   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Thank you, I was hoping to know where they came from. A bit of history since the shape is unusual. Maybe they were shared in SSE first by someone.
I tried to find out something about the taste ... but, nothing. They are stringless, small and round, purple, prolific and late season. Maybe someone who grew them can chime in on the taste. If they are only average in taste then they probably aren't worth the garden space and good soil for growing, which might be why they are not too popular. Never know. Something to think about.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I found only one reference to Seneca Speckled Egg in a previous SSE Yearbook; but the source is listed as Remy (Sample Seeds). It may be similar to Seneca Stripe, which is listed as a dry bean.

The Seneca tribe was originally from New York area, so the bean's origin is most likely from that area.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #6
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! That's what I was hoping for.
Old March 12, 2018   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Lindsey,

I hope you have a good grow out. I'm down to my last single seed.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #8
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Lindsey,

I hope you have a good grow out. I'm down to my last single seed.

Gary
Gary I have them, last time grown was in 2012, not in the freezer, I just looked so must be stored in one of the totes, I'll hunt them out and do a germination test, no sense sending if they won't germinate. Send me a PM. We beanaholics have to stick together.

Edited: Found them!!!

Annette

Last edited by aftermidnight; March 17, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: additional info
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #9
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Gary, have you eaten them before? What do they taste like?

Tags
seneca speckled bird egg