Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 21, 2018   #1
audrey17
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purple Issues

Hi All!

I purchased a CP plant from Home D last month & it seemed ok. I’ve never grown a CP, but fully expected “normal” tomato growth.
The leaves were pretty normal looking (except for an interesting faintly purple tint to the veins) I transplanted it to a bigger cow pot & all seemed well...except a leaf or 2 had a little “roll” to it. I had read somewhere that CP may have that happen, so no worries.
Unfortunately, since it was planted outside (in a 10 gal grow bag) it has become really twisted, with purple veins & gnarly looking!
The weather here in SE La., has been a bit inconsistent—60/75/80 degree days, with nights ranging from 40’s to 60’s w/some serious rain once or twice to boot! This doesn’t seem to be bothering my Yellow Pear tomato plant which has the same growing mix, environment, etc. as the mutant plant from HD!

Does anyone have ANY idea about what this is? I noticed that even though the leaves are rolled & twisted—it’s putting out new ones (that seem to be in odd places along the stem), that thus far haven’t twisted/curled...yet.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Audrey

[ATTACH]36FA9464-DBA2-4474-B0B2-B631DD9BCB4A.jpg

F69A85F4-5C0D-4A01-9C55-993C4F687BF2.jpg

52B5E5E2-A0FF-4E05-AE87-236C4A9662F1.jpg

E992E68C-C614-426C-A3F6-6EF204F84924.jpgCH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF697B35-56D9-4C92-A97C-0E50156DA3E4.jpg (305.2 KB, 268 views)
audrey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Rolled leaves like that are caused by physical problems...usually uneven watering. Keep your soil moist but not waterlogged
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I hate them,they are the ugliest tomato plant,they will settle in eventually,it takes a while for me to get them just to sit still.But the taste is one the top of my lists,all of them.They will fall through your fingers if left too long in the heat,the water swells the mater in direct sun here in 10b.Any of those big fat heirlooms are greenhouse grown,select harvest,no marks,can’t put more than three deep in a box.I stick to cherrys for that heat pressure on open field.
Old May 3, 2018   #4
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Just a thought, but could there be any Round up type contamination? My mother had similar problems when she used from dirt from the town compost pile that comes from yard waste.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #5
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot better experts here than me. But when I see that curl, it says herbicide exposure or drift to me. A number of my plants got hit last year.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #6
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

My plants started looking like that and just kept getting worse, then bronzing. I hung up a sticky trap and it was tiny thrips. Eventually my plants had TSWV. You might hang up a sticky trap to see if you catch anything.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years ago I lost nearly all of my tomatoes due to herbicide drift . That doesn't look like herbicide damage to me. At first glance I thought physiological leaf roll, however I would certainly take Barbam's advice to rule out thrips. I now have the sticky traps hanging all over the place thanks to learning about them from Marsha; it's very helpful to know what type bugs you have around.

Last edited by jillian; May 4, 2018 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Punctuation
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Is it me or does that plant not have a growing tip? That would explain also the tendency to make new suckers from the leaves.
The gnarled leaves are already old, the reason they became like that happened quite a while ago and it's related to fertilization. Excessive growth will make this, now the exact cause I don't know, and there isn't much info out there but it's probably due to some element or the other not being able to keep up with the growth (according to grodan that element is Ca, but I really think Cu to be more likely involved).

I would also check that pH. Water well but slowly until some excess comes from the bottom, measure pH with pH paper or meter if you have.

Last edited by zipcode; May 4, 2018 at 07:06 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Overcompensation,trying to correct one with another has killed more plant than I want to admit.In open field the roots can absorb only what they need and will only take what they need.In a CONTAINER ,everything is contained jammed into a space.Suffocation,overkill happened,that’s why we are networking about it.My conditions in a jungle basically,we just went from sub. to tropical in some parts of The Redlands Agricultural District.
Old May 4, 2018   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Audrey, that is not a normal plant. Home Depot gets most of its veggie plants from Bonnie Plants. I agree with Zipcode that the plant does not seem to have a top. That means you didn't get what you thought you were buying. I'd go and get another plant or my money back. I you want to start seeds and grow Cherokee purple, we can make that happen. That plant will probably not flower and set fruit. It appears to be a cross that is still segregating.

Let me know if I can help with getting you some proper materials to grow this great variety that Tomatoville member Craig Lehoullier found and so graciously gave to the world.

It is really worth getting the real deal. This variety is one of the world standards for great tasting heirloom tomatoes. I have plenty of seed that I can share and only need you to PM a mailing address.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 4, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have never had any problems growing Cherokee Purple and Craig sent me seeds for it from his source, J.D.Green, this history said something like 100 years old but that's shown to be a false claim.

If CP has you in a dither I highly suggest growing

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Indian_Stripe

Per the history when Donna Nelson sent me the seeds I sent some of the seeds she sent me, or maybe I grew it out and saved seeds to send to Craig, this happened back in 2004 I think,a long time to remember,ASAP to Craig,he grew it out and agreed that it was a variant of Cherokee Purple with just minor differences which Tania pointed out and Tania grew it herself as I recall. The info is all in the link above.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2018   #12
audrey17
Tomatovillian™

Hi All!

Thank you SO much for your responses. I thought about roundup exposure, over fertilizing, etc—but as it was in between 2 perfectly healthy tomato plants & given the exact same care, I pretty much can’t see how that plant got zapped/attacked or whatever while the others were fine.

I finally just got SOOOO weirded-out by this twisted, creepy, vine-like thing that I yanked it out & took it back to HD! (The look on the garden dept sales person’s face was priceless! He actually recoiled once he looked into the bag!😂.)

I’m expecting some CP seeds from Baker Creek this week (hopefully I’ll get some CP toms before thanksgiving)!

Audrey
audrey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Plants from big box stores are typically fraught with issues. You will have much better luck buying from a real grower.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #14
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Plants from big box stores are typically fraught with issues. You will have much better luck buying from a real grower.
I’d just as soon not grow rather than buy plants at a big box. Those plants have so many strange issues.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #15
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

I had an Amelia plant just like this last year. That poor plant just wasn’t right. Sort of a freak plant.
Strange thing is I rooted a sucker off of it and it grew out really well.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote