Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2020   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting my backside handed to me by TMV: suggestions?

This season I have confirmed the worst: TMV seems to have taken hold in my area (SW Houston). I'm losing about half my plants each year now, and that is a depressing prospect.

So, aside from "burn them ASAP when you find them," what other mitigation strategies are available going forward? I'd like feedback on
  • resistant varieties
  • aspirin as a prophylactic measure
  • and any other tricks that I might try.
Old May 22, 2020   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It is spread by thrips so you might try some measures to reduce the population. Even resistant varieties will only get you so far.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have dealt with it, and it is very virulent. You can brush a plant then touch another and it spreads. It stays in dry soil for up to two years, in moist soil for a month, but in plant matter from 10-100 years, so they say. At any rate, dispose of everything, move your plot. That's my two cents
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #4
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

TMV and ToMV are both Tobamoviruses that spread by contact, and don't require an insect vector. Pruning, tying up plants, etc, are a very effective way to transmit the virus from one plant to another. There is a gene for resistance to both (Tm2a), which has been incorporated into many newer hybrids. With the severity you describe, I think resistant hybrids are your best bet - but that's for next year. Unless you know otherwise, I suggest you make sure the new hybrid are resistance to both TMV and ToMV.

Last edited by frogsleap farm; May 25, 2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Get your plants tested to make sure what you have is TMV or ToMV, do not rely on visual symptoms to make the diagnosis. The strategy going forward is much different for TMV than it is for other problems which present similar symptoms (CMV, nutrient deficiencies, etc.). Good luck!
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote