Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 31, 2009   #31
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post

I look forward to more sharing and experiencing of this fine forum.

Paprika
(aka Prudenspurple as some will know me)
Welcome, lots of mater talk here.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #32
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I walked into this slamming of atomicgrow by accident after talking on the phone with Kathy who is the owner of Crowley's Nursery, and Southwest Florida's distributer of this product. She told me to check it out online in which I did and that brought me to my beloved gardening site Tomatoville!!. I am planning on purchasing two 25 gal. citrus trees from her as I grow many exotic fruits most on here have probably never heard of. They are very honest people and grow entirely with organic methods in which I personally respect. My parents are having severe die back on two citrus trees and we have tried everything to bring them back to form but they do not look good. I am going to try atomic grow and see what happens. I read where someone on here stated it does not state what is in this product!! I will be taking pics of these two trees and then later in about 4 week intervals will retake them and show all to see. I promise you I am in no way, shape or form involved with anyone selling this product. I only want some healthy trees. Take note! this product takes scale off of trees. Anything that strong surely would have to be dilluted for tomato plants. I will plan on trying it at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon and come up to 1/4 tsp. per gallon and hopefully it doesn't killl them.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #33
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

P.S it is made of soy, corn, grains, potatoes, and cactus. I asked if there was anything else in the formula but they say they do not know for sure, but to check with Jim.
Old February 23, 2010   #34
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I read some of the posts by shellenback and can see why he ruffled some feathers on here. Should have used a more honest approach about why he was on here for his credibility will be hindered.
Old February 24, 2010   #35
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I spoke this morning with Kathy at Crowley's Nursery. I requested Material Safety Data Sheet information about the product and Kathy was quite defensive and told me they weren't required to provide it because the product was "all natural". My goodness! Is Atomic Grow so good that our regulatory agencies gave them carte blanche to just go right ahead and sell their product? I certainly thought that MSDS info was supposed to be a matter of public record and that anyone in the business of manufacturing or distributing a finished product like this would certainly want MSDS to cover their own liability. I learned this a few years ago when I looked into the possibility of having a product made for me on a private label basis. The permits involved made it cost prohibitive.

As far as disclosing information, the good folks at Spray and Grow didn't have any problem disclosing their info, nor did Monty's Joy Juice, nor Superthrive (which really looks like snake oil because of the brown bottle covered in tiny writing on the label).

I'm not slamming the product. I can't do that fairly because I've never used the product. I'm slamming their approach at interacting with public and the pretense at which one individual approached us in this group. I do think it's peculiar that they won't disclose info to us. I'd like to see these people hold themselves to the same standard as manufacturers of other products that we all know and use with confidence.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #36
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

IceLord....don't go telling everyone the secret of manure tea and how to put water and horse poo poo into the microwave in a favorite coffee cup or everyone will be trying it and then what kind of crap will we hear about?

almost called ya Dean on here...LOL

Earl (ready for spring and maple syrup)
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #37
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

it is made of soy, corn, grains, potatoes, and cactus.

OK, you Tomato growers, I would be a bit concerned with the Soy in there.

In the past we rotated out hot peppers and tomatoes behind the soybeans. Until we had a year with a HEAVY soy residue and had whole field of extremely lush but dwarf plants with little to no fruit. I later found out that Soy can act like a growth regulator for peppers and tomatoes.

At the Michigan conference I went to in Dec, one of the reseachers also did not use soy as the previous crop in a rotation. I'm guessing they've seen those same weird dwarfing results I have.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #38
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Forgive me for "cut & pasting" to this thread, but I really feel that what I have to contribute is pertinent

I'd be totally open to Atomic Grow if they were totally open with us regarding the contents of said formula. They declined to offer me a Material Safety Data Sheet, which is (in theory) supposed to be PUBLIC RECORD and standard operating procedure for anyone in the business of of selling a finished product. I don't care if you're selling Mr. Clean or Massengil Feminine Hygiene Wash, you're required to have MSDS papers on file and available UPON REQUEST! Be afraid tomato folks, be very afraid!
Old February 24, 2010   #39
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Hey Bubba, when I get small vials of ultra pure water for the lab, it comes with an MSDS sheet. So, even pure water has an MSDS sheet, but a plant fertilizer can't supply one?
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #40
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Hey Bubba, when I get small vials of ultra pure water for the lab, it comes with an MSDS sheet. So, even pure water has an MSDS sheet, but a plant fertilizer can't supply one?
Yeah, tell me about it!!!!!!!!
Old February 24, 2010   #41
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Take note! this product takes scale off of trees. Anything that strong surely would have to be dilluted for tomato plants. I will plan on trying it at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon and come up to 1/4 tsp. per gallon.
Beefy Boy, I would be very interested in how this product would take scale off. I can't see anything in the apparently organic ingredients that would shake a stick at it. I have three (lemon, lime, orange) indoor/outdoor potted dwarf trees that I grew from tiny sticks 25+ years ago. I have been fighting scale on them for about 20 years, tried soaps, chemical sprays, hand picking, alcohol swabbing, everything but harsh chemical systemic poisons (which would defeat my being able to eat the fruit.) Many times I've had the trees close to clean for a few months, but once I quit checking for the soft immature platelets, I get another full-blown invasion in another couple of months.

From my personal experience, scale is just about impossible to get rid of no matter what you do. Please do post your opinion of this product after using it for a while.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2010   #42
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbacain View Post
Forgive me for "cut & pasting" to this thread, but I really feel that what I have to contribute is pertinent

I'd be totally open to Atomic Grow if they were totally open with us regarding the contents of said formula. They declined to offer me a Material Safety Data Sheet, which is (in theory) supposed to be PUBLIC RECORD and standard operating procedure for anyone in the business of of selling a finished product. I don't care if you're selling Mr. Clean or Massengale Feminine Hygiene Wash, you're required to have MSDS papers on file and available UPON REQUEST! Be afraid tomato folks, be very afraid!
The name "Atomic Grow" makes one think about radioactivity...
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2010   #43
bohica
Tomatovillian™

I know that I posted a shorter post earlier in this thread, I just feel that it is necessary to get the point across..

I tried Atomic grow 2 yrs ago after someone (I cannot remember his name) came on another gardening site I frequent and started telling us how great it was, I too was very apprehensive sine he told everyone that the ingredients were secret just like....and I quote.."Coca Cola"(?!?)... He agreed to send me a sample, a qt of this product, with instructions and application rates. I sprayed my 2 Hillbilly plants and within 2 days they look like they had a good case of fertilizer burn, they died soon after.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I follow their instructions to the "T".

The only good thing that came out of it was the fact that I didn't spray all of my plants...lol
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2010   #44
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

well I picked up my two orange trees,cara cara (navel) and Ortanique from Crowley's and got a free bottle of Atomic Grow!

First disappointment: Well the bottle has no label. lol

Main experiment will be on the sole purpose of wanting the product! the slow death of two very special citrus trees. Not worried about my tomato plants but of course I want to try it out to see. We all want and advantage if we can get it.
Old February 25, 2010   #45
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

P.S Do not have a scale problem on any of my citrus but if I do I will take some notes. I will check my parents yard. I have planted over 10 varieties of assorted trees so I can hunt on there property later this weekend.
I like this site a lot because we are all looking out for one another and only want the truth... and better ways to grow food!