Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2019   #31
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I planted my KBX in the spring last year. I still had some production in the fall and harvested some large green tomatoes the day before the first frost of fall. We ate our last shop ripened KBX in December. The KBX plants did become dormant in the high heat of summer, but started growing and blooming when the weather began cooling a little. I don't remember the KB performing that well, but I haven't grown them in a few years.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #32
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

After further review I have decided to replace Kellogg's Breakfast with Amana Orange. Reason being the great reviews of Amana Orange and the seeds I have are about 10 years old.

2014 AAS Edible – Vegetable Winner

Chef’s Choice Orange F1 is a hybrid derived from the popular heirloom Amana Orange which matures late in the season. Now you can experience the wonderful flavor of an orange heirloom tomato in only 75 days from transplant.

https://all-americaselections.org/pr...choice-orange/
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2019   #33
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Fifty or sixty tomato plants is close to my maximum seating space for tomatoes.. Six or eight KBX normally occupy some seats. I don't want to give up any dedicated seats to start experimenting again. I would like to try some other orange varieties, but life requires me to make hard choices.
Old February 27, 2019   #34
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I switched to Amana Orange based partly on this Tomatoville thread

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28908

The Fluffy Bunny grew KBX, Kellogg's Breakfast, and Amana Orange side by side for multiple years and concluded Amana Orange was superior in every way.

"2013 was only the 2nd year I grew Amana Orange but the 5th year for Kelloggs Breakfast and Yellow Brandywine and the 4th year for KBX. Kellogs Breakfast, KBX, and Yellow Brandywine have been very non-productive (though KBX had about 3 times the productivity of the other two) but none of the 3 were worth growing in my estimation for taste. They were collectively rather bland and just not of tomato flavor : ( But Amana Orange was the productivity King of the BeefSteaks I grew in 2013 and had a delicious citrus like medium tomato flavor with a sweet twang to it."

Also one seed site had 15 reviews on Amana Orange and all were perfect 5 star.
Old February 28, 2019   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
i grew KB for a few years. I then started growing KB and KBX. For me, in my hot summer climate; the KBX was slightly superior in all categories but highly superior in taste, fruit size; and production.

I invite people to visit my garden. I focus on red tomatoes, but make sure I have a few KBX in the garden for people to notice as they wander around. I wait for the question "what is this?". Most people are not aware a fully ripe tomato can be orange in color. I make sure they have some large ones to take home as gifts with instructions to tell me what they think after tasting them. I wait for the phone call or email. Everyone seems astounded that an orange tomato can have that "old time" tomato flavor.

The KBX was the first variety to germinate under lights this year. It seems all the planted seeds germinated and the seedlings have been growing so fast that I am concerned they may be exhibiting hybrid vigor in growth. They are already double the height of the other varieties under identical growing conditions.
Interesting , about germination, DonDuck.
I have exact opposite experience with my KB. It was the LAST to germinate.out of 16 varieties. I suspect that I got old seeds. But I am happy that it finally popped.
Now after reading reviews on better performance of KBX, I will try it the next season side by side..

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I switched to Amana Orange based partly on this Tomatoville thread

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28908

The Fluffy Bunny grew KBX, Kellogg's Breakfast, and Amana Orange side by side for multiple years and concluded Amana Orange was superior in every way.

"2013 was only the 2nd year I grew Amana Orange but the 5th year for Kelloggs Breakfast and Yellow Brandywine and the 4th year for KBX. Kellogs Breakfast, KBX, and Yellow Brandywine have been very non-productive (though KBX had about 3 times the productivity of the other two) but none of the 3 were worth growing in my estimation for taste. They were collectively rather bland and just not of tomato flavor : ( But Amana Orange was the productivity King of the BeefSteaks I grew in 2013 and had a delicious citrus like medium tomato flavor with a sweet twang to it."

Also one seed site had 15 reviews on Amana Orange and all were perfect 5 star.
I have to see if Amana Orange is in my seed supply.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019   #37
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Another orange variety I really like is Orange Minsk. It would be my orange tomato of choice for taste and production if it didn't produce so many ugly fruit. For some reason, it produces many cat faced tomatoes which I usually abort before they are fully developed. I've switched seed suppliers a couple of times because most growers don't experience the cat facing problem I experience in my garden. I do love the taste of Orange Minsk/
Old February 28, 2019   #38
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I have to see if Amana Orange is in my seed supply.

I got some in a seed exchange about 10 years ago. I think there were about 10 to 15 in each pack and not all the seeds were true but most were. For example the Beefstake turned out to be golf ball size with no taste. But you are welcome to half of the seed pack or hopefully I will have plenty this summer
Old March 10, 2019   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

For the better or worse i,ve got KB. Next year i might try KB, KBX side by side. Maybe Amana orange too.
I love colorful basketful of tomatoes. Golden Jubilee and KB are my yellow, orange ones.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #40
730dcm
Tomatovillian™

anyone grow dixie golden giant tomato? how does it compare to kb and kbx ? ive grown dixie golden past few year love the tomato but it seems to be very disease prone for me. this year im growing kb . i also got some kbx seeds that i got from Marsha sase offer to grow aswell.
730dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019   #41
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I got some in a seed exchange about 10 years ago. I think there were about 10 to 15 in each pack and not all the seeds were true but most were. For example the Beefstake turned out to be golf ball size with no taste. But you are welcome to half of the seed pack or hopefully I will have plenty this summer
I won't start new seeds until September, so I would enjoy the fresh ones,Thank you for offering.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019   #42
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Interesting , about germination, DonDuck.
I have exact opposite experience with my KB. It was the LAST to germinate.out of 16 varieties. I suspect that I got old seeds. But I am happy that it finally popped.
Now after reading reviews on better performance of KBX, I will try it the next season side by side..

I was wrong about a all of my KBX seed germinating this year, I planted two seeds per cell in twelve germination cells. They were the first to germinate with the exception of one cell. After about three weeks, I determined the seed in that cell would not germinate. I changed the medium in that cell and planted four seeds in it. After one month none of the seeds in that cell have germinated. All of the germination cells, germination medium, seed, moisture. and heat are identical. It left me scratching my head, but I do have eleven nice plants from the other cells.