Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2016   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Root watering crystals

Has anyone used Root Watering Crystals in their pots? I know that some of the potting mixes which contain this stuff don't always turn out that well, but I have a large container of them, and could put a few in the bottom of the each pot.

My watering method is usually to bottom-water every day and make sure that the saucers are empty after an hour or so, but I often end up with plants that are overly dry. Of course I only discover this when I go to toss the plants.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I personally would not put that stuff any where near my edibles but thats just me. The crystals are typically some type of super absorbent polymer such as polyacrylamide. For me stuff like that belongs no where near my food. They do work great for me in houseplants to keep the roots moist while reducing gnats.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks HeirloomTomatoGuy. I'll keep them for my potted plants then. I like to be as organic as possible with my veggies.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have used them in the past in both container plants and in raised garden beds and they were very effective. They had a twofold action in that they reduced the need for watering as frequently and they also tended to soak up excess water in the containers during times of heavy rain so that the roots didn't get drowned. The roots will find the swollen crystals and at the end of the season most of the crystals will be attached to the small feeder roots when you pull it up. I haven't used any in a few years because I now put down a very heavy layer of cypress mulch which helps maintain my beds moisture so they are not needed as much. I sure wish I had some in my beds last year during the nearly two month drought at the end of the summer because they really make a difference in those conditions with or without a heavy mulch. They are most effective in the top 4 or 5 inches of soil. I think when they are buried too deep the weight of the soil is too great to allow for their full expansion. If I had a free source of them I would certainly try them out at least and see if they make a difference for your plants. The brand I used would last for about 3 or 4 years in the soil but any crystals on the surface would quickly deteriorate in the sun so each year there would be less of them. They also get broken by working the soil each year causing them to either break into smaller crystals or fall apart. I found them particularly good with heavy feeders like tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage and large pepper plants. They were really good under squash and cucumbers reducing the effects of hot days on the plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote