Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2016   #16
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

The cat is mine, had a friend who had a litter and talked me into it. Figured it would be good for mousing, which it has. He is just about 4 months old, so wasn't around last year. Quite the hunter and as it got older, starting stretching his legs. I live on 2 acre plot and surrounded by several more. He just started doing this, after I made the beds for the year. Also, since his arrival, two other (feral) cats have been snooping around. Don't know if cats attract more cats or where they came from. Been trying to trap one in my shop, as he has gotten brazen to eat kitty mac's food.

Some good ideas for sure, not really sure what an "air puffer" is. I keep squirt bottle in the house, which works o.k.

really didn't even think of the chicken wire, but like that idea and will try. thx

here is a snapshot for all the cat lover's out there:

cat.jpg

Last edited by My Foot Smells; March 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #17
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Had the same problem with the neighbor's cats at the community plot. And I am a cat lover.

What worked for me was putting those yellow sticky traps on short posts all over the perimeter of my beds. The sticky thing grossed them out. I had a few with cat fur attached and I knew they got nailed. Added bonus was I caught a lot of moths and flies.

A friend used this scat mat stuff. Irritated without hurting. That worked for her:

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/scat-ma...1/8592448.html
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #18
tash11
Tomatovillian™

I like the chicken wire idea.

I have three cats. They were indoor until we got KC. He figured out how to open the windows so I literally can not keep him inside. I would rather let him out the door then have him constantly opening the windows. So now all three go out.

Fortunately for me they only sometimes go in the garden. And they prefer the front flower bed because it has the nice raised bed and fluffy compost. My tomatoes are planted wherever with no tilling so little interest to the cats. They do seem to like random spots with thatch though.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

wire works like a charm. thx
Old March 20, 2016   #20
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I mean by air puffer. It's a motion activated can of compressed air.

I'm glad the chicken wire worked!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #21
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
The cat is mine, had a friend who had a litter and talked me into it. Figured it would be good for mousing, which it has. He is just about 4 months old, so wasn't around last year. Quite the hunter and as it got older, starting stretching his legs. I live on 2 acre plot and surrounded by several more. He just started doing this, after I made the beds for the year. Also, since his arrival, two other (feral) cats have been snooping around. Don't know if cats attract more cats or where they came from. Been trying to trap one in my shop, as he has gotten brazen to eat kitty mac's food.

Some good ideas for sure, not really sure what an "air puffer" is. I keep squirt bottle in the house, which works o.k.

really didn't even think of the chicken wire, but like that idea and will try. thx

here is a snapshot for all the cat lover's out there:

Attachment 57531
I forgot to say before, but he is an absolute doll! Such a cutie!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #22
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

thanks, he is a mess, but has tallied about 7 mice to date.
Old March 21, 2016   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Ground up Carolina Reaper pepper powder, sprinkled around?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #24
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I think that once cats get the idea that crapping in the garden is unacceptable, they don't. Do whatever is needed to make sure he gets the idea.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote