Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2016   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarfs only in 2017

Because of the simplicity of maintaining most dwarfs and the diversity of fruit types available these days, I dont see any reason why I would bother with any variety over 3 feet tall. I had several dwarf types last year and a few indeterminate that eventually got to unmanageable size. But the problem I eventually gave in to was the birds. Feathered thieves ruined most of my San Marzanos and took wild cherry fruit at will and making a mess. I did use netting but what a headache that was. Maybe Im just lazy (or getting too old) but with a dwarf only tomato patch I can put up a gate around the raised bed and drape a net over the top to keeps the birds and the bunnies outside the castle wall gate. I can still grow the basic cherry, paste, slicer, deicer, drier, saladette, yellow, red or chocolate in one form or another. I mean just look at what the dwarf project created. Some very cool options you would have to agree. Anyone else consider this sort of lazy gardening approach to fun with tomatoes?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Yes. But there are some non-dwarfs that I really still like, which probably have close dwarf analogues... but not quite the same.

I really really would like to find a dwarf Sun Gold or patio-sized mato with Sun Gold flavor and sweetness. I grew out a F6 or F7 (don't quite remember) Sun Gold recently over the winter, and out of a huge batch of cherries, I still found a red one. So I know the breeding on something like that is going to take a long long while.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #3
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I am definitely going to go mostly, if not all, dwarfs. Maybe one or two indeterminate per year, just to try new varieties. I am disabled, and can't be out in the sun much(without risking getting sick); so dwarfs are absolutely perfect for me! No pruning means very little maintenance, and minimal sun exposure. I am also going to try to expose as many people as possible to the dwarfs, the more popular they are, the better! The people who have worked to develop these tomatoes have done such a great job, and given us some fantastic choices!

Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #4
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I am definitely going to go mostly, if not all, dwarfs. Maybe one or two indeterminate per year, just to try new varieties. I am disabled, and can't be out in the sun much(without risking getting sick); so dwarfs are absolutely perfect for me! No pruning means very little maintenance, and minimal sun exposure. I am also going to try to expose as many people as possible to the dwarfs, the more popular they are, the better! The people who have worked to develop these tomatoes have done such a great job, and given us some fantastic choices!

Carrie
Im not disabled but the spine and knees are not working so well. I have spine surgery next week. For similar reasons to yours, limited mobility, the dwarfs are almost a game changer. Maintaining a garden with dwarfs is much easier for me, especially in raised beds.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #5
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I think a gate and netting is a great idea! It would be easy to roll back an area of it to pick or spray or whatever too.
Best wishes with your surgery. Hang in there!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Carrie, I hear ya about being in the sun. I have hypothyroidism and being in the sun makes me sick, panicky and almost hysterical. I've heard that other hypothyroid people can't stand the sun either. I know it means tomatoes and gardening but oh how I hate summer. I only endure it hanging on for fall and winter.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think right now there are a lot of dwarf choice around, with different colors, shapes and sizes.
I, myself, I into shorts compact determinants, as much as possible. I am not fond of 8ft + indeterminants. Close to 50% of my varieties this season are dwarfs and determinants. They are so much easier to maintain. JMO

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #8
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
No pruning means very little maintenance, and minimal sun exposure.
Sorry for that beginners question, but I'm completly new to dwarfs You don't need to prune them at all? Even the varieties listed as indet.?
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
Sorry for that beginners question, but I'm completly new to dwarfs You don't need to prune them at all? Even the varieties listed as indet.?
The dwarf even w/ indet growth pattern wont get as tall and as big as regular indets.
I grow several of the last year only Purple Hear grow like 4 to 5 foot tall. The rest of them were under 3 ft. That is w/out pruning.
Check the thread called " New Big Dwarf", if you will. Should be interesting.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post

I do a little pruning once or twice strictly to improve air flow if they get too dense and bushy, but otherwise they need no pruning.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

At least for now, it would appear that the major tomato breeders are seeing potential demand in creating dwarfs and smaller varieties. Two new ones recently -- Big League F1 and Tidy Treats F1. Both are dwarf indeterminate. I'm trying both this year. My Tidy Treats plants are about a month old now, and I can tell you they are very compact. Another thing you can typically count on -- if you get a commercially bred variety, they are nearly always going to look nice, also. I realize that isn't a priority to everyone, but I don't even like to give away "ugly" tomatoes. They need to taste good, have good growing properties, -and- look attractive.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote