Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2016   #1
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Default If you only had 3 growing pots...

... for snackers. I know, that ye olde question.

But it is true. A couple years ago i planted 3 garden center pots that trees came in. Must be 8-10 gallons since they are much larger than the standard 5gal paint type buckets.
At the time i was not familiar with container growing at all. I just wanted some 'snackers' near the garage door where we pull up sometimes late at night...we work in NYC long hours. This is my city home that is close to the city at the base of the Ramapo Mnts. My garden is in the Catskills 150miles away and tended weekends...

They get good sun but i do have to slide them a few times since we are pretty much in the forest here. (and why i had never thought tomatoes would do well.)

First year SunGold, YellowPear, And some healthy starts with lost labels. SG did great, YP had a split year with all the rain late August...
Last year only SunGold gave me anything. I stopped in a BigBox for light bulbs and closet hooks and the 'garden center magnet' forced me to buy a 'patio'. Looked great all summer, filled out like a bush...and that was it, no tomatoes. Big mistake.

so...SunGold, CubanYellow, and i have two more spots adding another pot this year.

Need your favorite snacker recommendations.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Zluta Kytice, small yellow cherries
Green Tiger, green when ripe, long pointed ovals, not a monster plant but productive
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If I had only three growing pots...

If I lived in NY, I would plant Sungold, Red Ambrosia, and Medovaya Kaplya

But I live in Texas, so I would plant Porter because they can be eaten as a cherry tomato, made into salsa/sauces/juice, and can be canned whole.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #4
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

I've yet to grow a dwarf variety, but will be trying a Rosella Purple on the patio in a 5 gal. pail this year. I typically grow three varieties on my patio in pots similar to what you describe and have had good results: a cherry (Super Sweet 100), a plum (Roma, but going to try Super Sauce this year), and a slicer (Celebrity). If Rosella Purple does well, it may give the Celebrity the boot next season. Celebrity is a good reliable tomato, but it's nothing special in the taste category. I just sowed my seeds last night for the 2016 season. My oldest son will be 3 in just a few weeks. I grow the tomatoes on the patio for him and my wife.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

you already have a gold and a yellow, how about a red like reisentraube and one of the bumblebees for a striped for fun and colour. Purple bumblebee is very pretty with green stripes
A saladette size plum or round would be nice for a different one. Maybe try a GWR like green zebra or an early red like bloody butcher. Black plum is one of my favourite small tomatoes. lots to select from
KarenO
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

If you only had 3 growing pots...

I would be very bad and get more pots.Why do you need a driveway, after all?!! Dang cars.
But we all know I have a problem, LOL!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

No frills tomato machine: Mountain Magic. Takes neglect and keeps on truckin.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I live in the Mid Hudson Valley of New York. Besides Sungold, my best bets for your pots are Japanese Black Trifele, which has been my biggest producer two years in a row now, and if you can grow from seeds, Microbeicum Occemus, a large red cherry tomato that tastes like a beefsteak tomato. I received the seeds from "Ginger" (who is really Marsha, who offered them on Tomatoville last year) and they lived up to her description. If you can't get those, then I would suggest Lemon Boy, which is a hybrid medium sized sunny yellow tomato that has also been pretty dependable for me.

JBT is a prolific medium to large pear tomato that just kept giving and giving, and has a very rich tomatoey flavor.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Esmerelda Golosina was the one tomato I found myself eating in the garden. It's a green when ripe saladette, and extremely sweet.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #10
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Esmerelda Golosina was the one tomato I found myself eating in the garden. It's a green when ripe saladette, and extremely sweet.
I second this one. They never made it into the house last year. So sweet and good. Another one would be Carbon Copy. Check out the various threads about this one here on Tville. Amazing cherry tomato!
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you only had 3 growing pots
I would grow 6 dwarfs one of which would be Cyril's Choice.

Ami
Old March 22, 2016   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Good choices! I'm looking up the ones i'm not familiar with.

(my other post response disappeared)

JBTrifele will be in the big garden. I've got 8 babies coming up so that may be good for one pot.
I have a few more big pots but hate to clog the bbq.

I'm looking at some dwarfs for next year.
Old March 22, 2016   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

SunGold, SunGold, SunGold.

Even if you had 5 pots, three of a kind would beat 2 pair (even with an ace).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Good point Tormato. It did so well a couple years ago even with dank rainy forest, no wind, mold/moss, ...i came home often at 3am, then the motion activated light would trigger...bing!...a dozen toms welcoming me just out of my car.