Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 24, 2007   #1
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Default Info for newbie

I have noticed reading these forums that many of you Tomatovillians here can just rattle off what varieties were crossed with what.

Very amazing to me 8)

Can I find information somewhere about what tomato was crossed with what?
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Thomas,

Look here:
http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w...vgclintro.html

Scroll down the page to "Tomato A - I" and click on that ...

Then scroll down the list of individual tomatoes to "Avalanche" for example ...

"Avalanche (20-St-4, STEP 382) - Breeder: University of Missouri, Columbia. Vendor: Standard Seed and Archias, Sedalia, Missouri. Parentage: Mozark x Glamour. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, plant indeterminate, good foliage cover; fruit red, large, uniform ripening; very prolific; tolerant to radial and concentric cracking. Resistance: fusarium wilt and gray leaf spot. Adaptation: midwestern, eastern and southern United States. Amer. Veg. Grower, Dec. 1963."

So in this case, Avalanche, which is a hybrid that recently went off the market, was bred by the University of Missouri and its parentage was Mozark x Glamour.

Glamour still is available from several vendors, but Mozark is not, so the parentage shows up on this list of cultivars.

In some cases, the parentage will not be shown ... scroll down to BHN 444 for example ...

"BHN 444 - Breeder and vendor: BHN Seed. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, fresh market, first tomato spotted wilt virus resistant cultivar released in the eastern U.S., medium tall determinate vine, uniform green shouldered, globe shape and firm fruit. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt race 1 and 2, gray leaf spot, tomato spotted wilt virus. 1997."

This tomato still is on the market and the list shows only that it is an F1 hybrid and does not reveal its parentage.

Well, in some cases the parentage is known and in others it is not and is kept a proprietary secret.

Anyway, there is a start of an answer to your question ...

Other folks here know about certain parentages because they either worked with the breeders, are the breeders, or have discussed certain F1 parentages with the breeders, etc.

Enjoy Tomatoville!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #3
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks PV

That is a good start for me to read. I am starting to put 1+1 together here. Like Grub's Mystery Green..I take it that is grub the Tomatovillian's tomato?

Earl's Faux Is Earl the Tomatovillians tomato?

Is the Dr. Carolyn's , Carolyn the Tomatovillians tomato?
Old January 24, 2007   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, yes, and yes ... well in the first two cases, the tomato arose in their gardens and in the last case the tomato was named in her honor.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #5
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default info for newbie

Thomas'
Both Grandpa Charlie and Grandpa Willie are my PL family heirlooms brought from Poland and England in the early 1900's and named by me in their honor.

SpudleafWillie, another T'villian
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #6
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I remember reading about Dr. Carolyn being named in Carolyn's honor. She deserves it for sure! Very few names come up as often as hers when it comes to tomatoes.

Spudleafwillie, thanks for your contributions also. Maybe one day I will get to grow them.