Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 13, 2017   #271
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I went to the community garden in my town this week to give them some plants, about 80 or so that had gotten too big and fallen over in their pots. I was walking around the place looking at it, and an older gentleman walked up to me to say hello. Apparently he was one of the garden's organizers. The first thing he said as he walked up to me, gesturing at their beds of mostly various greens, was "All of this food is free. You can pick whatever you like."

"Thanks, man, but I am actually here to give you some plants."

He was happy to get the plants. I was happy that the person I picked out to donate to tried to donate to me first.
Awesome
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #272
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a good morning. I sold almost everything I took to market. My plant business is winding down for the season. I will have sunflowers for the next two weeks or so.

Here's a pic from this morning. Jelly and microdwarfs up front. The tomato plants in the back look yellow from the sunlight, but they all sold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170513_081648.jpg (304.7 KB, 232 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #273
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic. I always look forward to your successes and up-dates...
Are those dFollettes in the one gallons? -nice bloom
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #274
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, those are Dfollet's crosses. They have all been great. I am keeping a few of each one to grow them out for seeds. He does fine work.

I sold one of them to another market member, an older gentleman who was friends with my grandparents when they were members. He said he was giving it to his wife for Mother's Day. "I thought I knew all about tomatoes, but I have never seen anything like these," he said. I encouraged him to save the seed if he liked them.
Old May 13, 2017   #275
oakley
Tomatovillian™

...i always get the spelling wrong,
dFollett. (?)...two t's

-i think he needs to come up with some names, you think?

We just call them 'dfolletts'. Very recognizable they are.

I just started another tray of saved F5 and have some F4's that are in 2 gallon pots.
Summer sun they should thrive.

Still a bit of 'hunting' looking for micro's. And one of the most satisfying seedlings being
so strong out of the gate...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #276
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, those are Dfollet's crosses. They have all been great. I am keeping a few of each one to grow them out for seeds. He does fine work.

I sold one of them to another market member, an older gentleman who was friends with my grandparents when they were members. He said he was giving it to his wife for Mother's Day. "I thought I knew all about tomatoes, but I have never seen anything like these," he said. I encouraged him to save the seed if he liked them.
Got a charge when you stated you sold out! . You must have a great reputation and fan base Cole. . Jimbo
Old May 20, 2017   #277
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Today's color was sunflower. Despite the early rain, I still sold out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170520_084451.jpg (311.2 KB, 122 views)
Old May 20, 2017   #278
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Today's color was sunflower. Despite the early rain, I still sold out.
Very pretty plants Cole, I can see why you sold out! . My sunflowers are 3 feet tall no flowers. Yours look much better. . Jimbo
Old May 20, 2017   #279
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

Oh I love those. Where do you get short sunflowers? Do they stay that small?
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #280
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Those are dwarf varieties from Johnny's. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/s...rf-sunflowers/

They will stay about that size. My other dwarf varieties last year came from purchased seed at the farm store. They got too tall, though, and had a tendency to fall over in the wind. The ones I had today were a lot easier to handle.

It was pouring down rain when I arrived at market. I showed up an hour late to let the storm pass. I priced the sunflowers at $4, mostly because of the weather. On a nice day, they'd be $5.
Old May 20, 2017   #281
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks. Those are dwarf varieties from Johnny's. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/s...rf-sunflowers/

They will stay about that size. My other dwarf varieties last year came from purchased seed at the farm store. They got too tall, though, and had a tendency to fall over in the wind. The ones I had today were a lot easier to handle.

It was pouring down rain when I arrived at market. I showed up an hour late to let the storm pass. I priced the sunflowers at $4, mostly because of the weather. On a nice day, they'd be $5.
You know your audience Cole. They sure seem reasonably priced ! I'm gonna order some from Johnnys. I think my granddaughter will be tickled! . Size is perfect.
Old May 20, 2017   #282
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I charged $5 and had ladies fighting over them on Mothers Day. One lady bought 8 Yours look better than mine did.

I gotta thank you for giving me the idea Cole. It has helped me fill the gap between tomatoes and produce. Another thing that sells like crazy, but I didnt do many pots of, is the dwarf zinnias. I put 3 per pot and they fill up real nice. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/z...seed-1989.html
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #283
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Those look amazing. When did you seed the sunflowers to get them to bloom on Mother's Day, Cole? Do they bloom again after the first big ones fade?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #284
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone, and I'm glad to hear that, Van. I will try some of those dwarf zinnias next year.

The sunflowers are very challenging to keep watered. Next year, I would like to have a few of my benches set up as flood and drain tables, where I can flood them with an inch or two of water, let them soak, and then pull a plug to drain the water.

I started mine in mid-March, should have done so sooner. I was delayed a week or so by a couple weeks of cold weather, which slowed down their growth in the greenhouse. And the two varieties I bought from Johnny's both keep growing blooms out the sides. Customers seemed to like that a lot.
Old May 22, 2017   #285
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful plants I'm not surprised you sold out. Any gardener with even a little experience would look at them and know they were getting quality.

Our spring here has been up and down with weather. We warm up for a day then cool back down. Not great sunflower starting weather. If I had access to plants like those I would be buying them too.

Denice
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote