Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 1, 2018   #46
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
just to make sure you didn't cook them gently squeeze one or two between your finger and thumb to make sure they aren't mushy. the innards will push out if the mat got them too hot.
Will do,thanks clkeiper.Will let you know what I see,
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #47
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I checked a cubinella and long cayenne seed,looks like a tail has started to come out of the seeds.The seeds are hard.Temp is around 82 to 84 degrees.Looks like they are doing well.Thanks!
Old March 1, 2018   #48
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
I checked a cubinella and long cayenne seed,looks like a tail has started to come out of the seeds.The seeds are hard.Temp is around 82 to 84 degrees.Looks like they are doing well.Thanks!
Good deal, wouldn't be surprised if you see a sprout or two tomorrow.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #49
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Rhines, that is excellent. I really enjoy seeing every seed germinating.
Me too. I always plan for about 80% and sow some extra. Had another 1/2 dozen varieties so far with 100% germination too. Looks like I'll have some plants to give away this year. Tabasco even popped up at 5 days and the seed is two years old.
Old March 1, 2018   #50
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks,I'll keep a close eye on them.I have my lights set up from last year ready to go in the basement.It's always around 65 degrees there.This year I'll set up a fan and run it during the day on the low setting when the lights are on 16 hours.
Old March 1, 2018   #51
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks,I'll keep a close eye on them.I have my lights set up from last year ready to go in the basement.It's always around 65 degrees there.This year I'll set up a fan and run it during the day on the low setting when the lights are on 16 hours.
Not too much of a big deal, but I'd wait a week after sprouting for the fan and let them just concentrate on getting well rooted and get their 1st set of true leaves on. You'll no doubt eventually have seedlings of different ages in the same area, in that case put the younger ones in a less direct path of the fan.
Old March 1, 2018   #52
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank you,unlike tomato seedlings when the first ones pop through I'd put the tray of them under the lights right away with pepper seedlings I might move the heat mat down to the basement so the seeds not yet up still get the warmth of the mat while the seedlings that did pop through get the light they need.I guess I should have started them in the basement in the first place.
Old March 1, 2018   #53
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you,unlike tomato seedlings when the first ones pop through I'd put the tray of them under the lights right away with pepper seedlings I might move the heat mat down to the basement so the seeds not yet up still get the warmth of the mat while the seedlings that did pop through get the light they need.I guess I should have started them in the basement in the first place.
Ah yes, forgot you were starting in inserts (which is why I don't). But that should work out just fine too. I germinate in a different area from where they grow, it works for me, but everyone has their own situation.
Maybe next year either germinate them in napkins or coffee filters or put a seed or two in individual Dixie cups with potting mix so you can move them around individually. Unless you are growing tons of them, it is not that much work.
Old March 1, 2018   #54
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to mention, if you do put a fan on for seedlings with seeds still germinating in the same insert - you might want to cover those un-sprouted cells with plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
Old March 1, 2018   #55
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank you again,great advice.I'll wait with the fan.In the past I grew them in dixie cups this year I'm trying something different.Thought it would be easier with a seed cell tray and save space until I transplant them into cups.If that makes sense.I have 2 4ft shop lights I put my cups under and will have over 30 cups when said and done.My heat mat is only 10"x 20"and would not be big enough with that many cups.

Last edited by cjp1953; March 1, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old March 1, 2018   #56
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you again,great advice.I'll wait with the fan.In the past I grew them in dixie cups this year I'm trying something different.Thought it would be easier with a seed cell tray and save space until I transplant them into cups.If that makes sense.I have 2 4ft shop lights I put my cups under and will have over 30 cups when said and done.My heat mat is only 10"x 20"and would not be big enough with that many cups.
With my flowers and herbs I grow them in inserts, they don't have particular requirements. If I were growing peppers and tomatoes in bulk to sell, I would also use inserts for them - but less than 200-300 pepper/tomato/egg plant/tomatillo plants is manageable (for me) doing them more individually. This year I am waiting VERY patiently to start tomatoes and tomatillo ... last year I started them with the peppers and they got way out of hand before transplant time.

BTW, A 1020 tray fits about 38 (3-4 oz dixie cups) ... maybe you are thinking 10-12 oz cups?

Last edited by rhines81; March 1, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old March 1, 2018   #57
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

This pic shows 36 dixie cups loosely in a 1020 tray, might even be able to squeeze another 5 or 6 in....

Old March 1, 2018   #58
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Cjp. if you drop your seeds off to me I will start them, if I had an extra heat mat to let you borrow I would. let me know if that works for you. I would be happy to do it. Menards had them a few weeks ago at about 15.00. maybe they still have them.

"My Home Depot and Walmart sell the heat mats off the rack for about $25. Thay can cook your tomato babies without a thermostat.

As mentioned in another thread, it helps to put a foam slab, such as a drink cooler lid or a packing material sheet under the pad and cover the top of the tray with a few layers of towels or sweatshirts, etc. to insulate the seed tray. Its been a really cold winter and the heat is going non stop so I have lots of floor space near heat vents and I haven't used my heat mats. A first for me.

- Lisa "

I have never had those heat mats cook my seeds or plants. I have had sunshine cook them, but that is it. I have heat mats with thermostats which can get pretty hot and the plain old black "plug them in ones" and they don't get that hot. if you don't water the trays if they get dry you can kill off newly germinating seeds, though.
Carolyn,
I have my cheap Hydrofarm/Jffy heat mats on a foam slab. I use the thinnest 10X20 that I own (too flimsy for carry) with a plastic top. I cover the plastic top with several layers of towels and stadium blankets.

I plugged in the heat mat for a few hours without the thermostat. The Jiffy mix was fully moistened. Yipes it was hot when I went to install the thermostat. An soil thermometer showed the temp as 100, probably more but I got busy pulling everything off to let it cool. The thermostat showed 90 when I plugged it, about 5 minutes off the mat.

My word to the wise is if you are placing the mat on the floor or table without insulation underneath you are heating the surface below and not optimizing the heat. Also using the plastic lid without covering wastes heat (and electricity and the life of the mat.) This works great for hot pepper germination. Without a thermostat it works too well for my sweet peppers and tomatoes.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #59
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Post deleted, wrong thread. sorry

Last edited by shatbox; March 2, 2018 at 02:20 AM.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #60
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
This pic shows 36 dixie cups loosely in a 1020 tray, might even be able to squeeze another 5 or 6 in....

I use red solo cups that are I think 16 to 20 oz. cups much larger than Dixie cups you use.I never thought of using those.That looks like a great way to start them.