Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 4, 2017   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
"The concept originally comes from Leviticus, in which a goat is designated to be cast into the desert with the sins of the community. " Except the goat is innocent of any wrong doing. The same can hardly be said of Monsanto.
Very true Monsanto is more like a cobra in the den of snakes.
One of the problems with these plants is the fine is less than the profit.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #32
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Innocent? The goat ate my homework!

As I understand it, the defoliants in Agent Orange weren't the problem, but that the manufacturing process allowed dioxins to remain in the mix. Is that data incorrect?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Innocent? The goat ate my homework!

As I understand it, the defoliants in Agent Orange weren't the problem, but that the manufacturing process allowed dioxins to remain in the mix. Is that data incorrect?
You are right if 2-4-5 T isn't kept to a certain temperature while manufacturing it makes dioxin.
Or something like that from what I read.
In my past life I have used a ton of the other 50% part of agent orange, 2-4 D mixed with diesel to kill trees for the national forest service in the mid 70's.
If the tree isn't injected with enough of it the leaves get creepy big.
Think Hickory leaves almost the size of footballs.
Worth
Old November 4, 2017   #34
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
To be fair they didn't give us any of that stuff it already existed and many companies produced it or it is a chemical byproduct.
They didn't discover or invent any of them.
When you read misleading stories it makes me question everything in it.
As a matter of fact you dont manufacture buy agent orange you mix 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T at 50-50 to get it.
2-4-5 T is the culprit that causes problems and is not manufactured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Galston
They did not invent Agent Orange and certainly they did not invent Dioxin or PCBs as they are a by-product.

The point is that Monsanto had no problem disposing of these harmful by-products in streams, creeks, landfills, old quarry's and even encouraging residents according to a newspaper to come get free dirt and put on your yard and gardens. The fact is and is undisputed that Monsanto created some of the most toxic places on the planet. This is all documented by the EPA.

My opinion is that Monsanto poisoned the planet for most of the 20th century and continues to do so. Fortunately the mainstream media is now starting to publish articles questioning the use of Roundup. I think it is only a matter of time before it is banned entirely but this process may take many years and unfortunately many more people will have to suffer until then.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/health...ons/index.html
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #35
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

IMO Round-up has its place, and like anything - even water - can be misused.

Restricting it to professionals is not the answer either; they are some of the worst misusers. For instance, the "landscape maintenance engineers" here weed with a Round-up spray wand. Kills the weeds all right, but it also kills the runners of the plants that the landscapers planted to form a weed-preventing ground cover.

Job security, maybe?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
They did not invent Agent Orange and certainly they did not invent Dioxin or PCBs as they are a by-product.

The point is that Monsanto had no problem disposing of these harmful by-products in streams, creeks, landfills, old quarry's and even encouraging residents according to a newspaper to come get free dirt and put on your yard and gardens. The fact is and is undisputed that Monsanto created some of the most toxic places on the planet. This is all documented by the EPA.

My opinion is that Monsanto poisoned the planet for most of the 20th century and continues to do so. Fortunately the mainstream media is now starting to publish articles questioning the use of Roundup. I think it is only a matter of time before it is banned entirely but this process may take many years and unfortunately many more people will have to suffer until then.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/health...ons/index.html
None of theze companies have a problem dumping they will get away with what they can.
Hear is one for you.
Years ago I worked at times in a plant that recycled spent catalyst from chemical plants to recover the rare metals from it.
The trucks hauled in this nasty stuff and dumped it in huge smelly smoking piles.
On the sides of these trucks said so and so landscaping and dirt hauling.
In other words the very trucks that hauled soil to houses hauled this nasty stuff.
This isn't something I saw or read on the internet it is what I saw with my own two eyes.
The place where they made some of the other stuff I mentioned like polystyrene had a huge dead forest in back where they tested agent orange.
Old November 4, 2017   #37
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

About 30 years ago a company called "Earthline" bought a closed coal mine 10-12 miles from here. New fences and guard towers went up, then the semis started rolling in dumping barrels of PCB in the abandoned mine. The town of Wilsonville, IL finally caught wind of what they were doing and setup roadblocks to the only entrance to the mine. This got everyone's attention, lawsuits, court hearings soon followed. The town got an in★★★★★★★★ for them to stop, then won a lawsuit for Earthline to clean up the site.
The site is now a barren wasteland... I know a few people who are still alive after working for the company doing the toxic cleanup, but not many. A friend I went to school with is one of them, he came down with a strange disease that not many knew of his throat would swell shut for no reason, he had to carry a tube with him to stick down his throat so he could breathe long enough to drive himself to the hospital. He also became a "super healer", if he cut himself it would heal in a couple days instead of weeks. He's been to the MAO clinic many times and they finally figured out what it was,
though I don't remember what they called it, but only a couple hundred people in the world have ever had it. He's still alive and they somewhat have it under control.
I apologize to anyone that has been offended by me starting this thread, or my opinion on it, those were not my intentions... But I'm done commenting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
None of theze companies have a problem dumping they will get away with what they can.
Hear is one for you.
Years ago I worked at times in a plant that recycled spent catalyst from chemical plants to recover the rare metals from it.
The trucks hauled in this nasty stuff and dumped it in huge smelly smoking piles.
On the sides of these trucks said so and so landscaping and dirt hauling.
In other words the very trucks that hauled soil to houses hauled this nasty stuff.
This isn't something I saw or read on the internet it is what I saw with my own two eyes.
The place where they made some of the other stuff I mentioned like polystyrene had a huge dead forest in back where they tested agent orange.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
About 30 years ago a company called "Earthline" bought a closed coal mine 10-12 miles from here. New fences and guard towers went up, then the semis started rolling in dumping barrels of PCB in the abandoned mine. The town of Wilsonville, IL finally caught wind of what they were doing and setup roadblocks to the only entrance to the mine. This got everyone's attention, lawsuits, court hearings soon followed. The town got an in★★★★★★★★ for them to stop, then won a lawsuit for Earthline to clean up the site.
The site is now a barren wasteland... I know a few people who are still alive after working for the company doing the toxic cleanup, but not many. A friend I went to school with is one of them, he came down with a strange disease that not many knew of his throat would swell shut for no reason, he had to carry a tube with him to stick down his throat so he could breathe long enough to drive himself to the hospital. He also became a "super healer", if he cut himself it would heal in a couple days instead of weeks. He's been to the MAO clinic many times and they finally figured out what it was,
though I don't remember what they called it, but only a couple hundred people in the world have ever had it. He's still alive and they somewhat have it under control.
I apologize to anyone that has been offended by me starting this thread, or my opinion on it, those were not my intentions... But I'm done commenting on it.
I worked with a guy that rode in his fathers truck hauling waste to a dump site.
That dump site is called Love Canal.
Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZOEq4lHCpJ3jHY

Last edited by Worth1; November 4, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old November 4, 2017   #39
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
If you don't like Monsanto, don't use their products.
I wish I had that choice. I like honey but I don't know how to buy it without Roundup in it. Even organic honey may have glyphosate in it as the bees don't discriminate.

I don't know if the small amount in honey is harmful but my preference is to not eat Roundup and I don't have that choice if I want to eat honey.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #40
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I wish I had that choice. I like honey but I don't know how to buy it without Roundup in it. Even organic honey may have glyphosate in it as the bees don't discriminate.

I don't know if the small amount in honey is harmful but my preference is to not eat Roundup and I don't have that choice if I want to eat honey.
I know how you feel. I have 4 beehives and we do not use any lawn chemicals on our 4 acres. We have about 10 fruit trees, a large organic garden and many flowering perennial flowers. We have lots of flowers on our own property for our bees to work however honeybees will travel up to 2 miles in search of nectar and pollen so I know that my bees probably visit areas where the flowers are not organically grown. Still it's probably better than any honey that I can buy.

I know that it is not possible to eliminate all Roundup or other chemicals from my family's diet so I just do the best that I can.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not many people use roundup around here until you get farther away a few miles where they grow cotton.
That is around 30 miles or so.
Then they might use it as a defoliant.
I can get organic in bulk at the store but I cant remember the last time I have had any honey or syrup in the house besides a wee bit of maple someone gave me that was homemade from Maine.
Old November 4, 2017   #42
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well the thread has been everywhere now, but the original post was about this new problem attributed to growers of Monsanto's latest GMO - Dicama herbicide drift which is killing acres of crops this year. It was a new one on me, as I never heard of Dicama before. But the worst thing about it, evidently, is that it vaporizes and spreads elsewhere than intended, really easily.

TC Manhattan posted a link to a news article about it, and you can get the goods on Dicama by google too.

I was looking at honey in the store today, and could not find a liquid organic honey for the convenience of mixing salad dressing. Almost all the conventional Canadian honey contains a mixture of honey from China. The problem there iirc is neonicotinoid pesticides and yes they're in the honey. So sadly no honey for me today.
@Brownrexx, it dawned on me afterwards what a funny thing you said. If you don't like them don't use their products... as if anyone who "doesn't like" Monsanto would use it Tx for chuckles.
For each person that I've met, it is either "Monsatan" or "Monsaviour" afaict, there is no middle ground "Monsanto".

I have no problem either, admitting that I distrust pretty well all chemicals and chemical industries, and avoid the lot of it as much as I can. Pharmaceuticals included. Besides I'm getting old and set in my ways. Have always grown organically, too old to change.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

At this point if someone put up a site saying they made all the employees worship the devil people would spread it around.
Not that there is anything wrong with devil worship as long as I am invited to the banquets and fish fries.
Worth
Old November 4, 2017   #44
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default @zuespaul

We have a business here in S fl called the bee man,he will remove those nasty hives,he will also bring and teach you the honey processing part.Naturally some yard,a neighnod close to a food source,he makes the call.If it does not pan out,he takes his hives home.Heard about small townships with the good old rural dump scenario,renting trucks of earthworms to clear smaller landfills.Again he takes the worms back,quite effective.

Last edited by kurt; November 4, 2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Stupidity and forgetfullness
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Found some North American honey made from the US and Canada.
Giant 48 oz bottle for 8.99
In my opinion there isn't any such thing as "organic" honey how do they control the bees?
Not arguing just asking.

Worth