Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 24, 2012   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I grew asparagus on a 5 foot net trellis last year and it wasn't nearly big enough. They were climbing down the other side, the net was sagging and it wasn't good.
I'm using 5foot CRW this year and I think I might use some sort of extension on top but haven't figured out how to extend it yet. Maybe bamboo sticks?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #32
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

How long does it take for asparagus beans to germinate? Mine are not coming up and it has been 4 or 5 days since I planted them.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #33
mlynn
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you can save seed. I've grown them for the last 3 years.
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #34
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I only put up a 2' wide by 5' tall trellis, because I wasn't sure if they actually tasted good, or were more of a novelty. Should I replace it with a bigger one before they start growing, or will that work?
This is the black-seeded variety that was given to me by a friend in the 90's (I believe is "Asparagus"). The trellis is 6 & 1/2 feet tall.

Quote:
How long does it take for asparagus beans to germinate?
In warm soil, as little as 3 days. I germinate mine in peat pots at 75 F. degrees. They then need to go into direct sunlight immediately. I need to use transplants to get good results... but such measures would be unnecessary for those in warmer climates.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #35
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
How long does it take for asparagus beans to germinate? Mine are not coming up and it has been 4 or 5 days since I planted them.
Normally they should be up in 4-7 days. I noticed you are getting highs in the 90's, so be sure to keep the soil moist for them to break out. Some birds and rodents like to eat the seed, so watch out for small craters where they got dug up.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #36
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

This is the second set of seeds I have planted, maybe they were old seeds, I got them through the seed library.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #37
muskymojo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll wait to see if they germinate before I replace the trellis. I use black plastic mulch, so hopefully the soil is warm enough for them to sprout.
muskymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #38
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I may have some extras from last year if this set doesn't come up. Let me know and I'll see if I can take a look. I didn't do a very good job of seed saving last year but I think I saved some of them somewhere.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That picture is what I have to look forward to.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; May 24, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #40
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskymojo View Post
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll wait to see if they germinate before I replace the trellis. I use black plastic mulch, so hopefully the soil is warm enough for them to sprout.
The ground is warm enough in your area for them to germinate and it's only getting warmer from here on out.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2014   #41
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Reviving an old thread...

I've really gotten to love asparagus/yard long beans, they can be more reliably set pods here when we have extra hot summers.

We've got 9 varieties in this year's trials. I'm with SESE, so we've got our own 5 varieties planted as the baseline (Green Pod Red Seed, Purrple Podded, Chinese Red Noodle, Liana, and Stickless Wonder). We've trying out a Hawaiian heirloom, Otan, and a Baker Creek variety, Thai #3. And a couple varieties from Evergreen Y. H., Three-Feet-Plus and White Galaxy.

We grow them on cattle paneling that's bent into an arch -- we use t-posts on either side of the arch to anchor the ends, and arch the cattle panel so it's 6-7' tall in the middle. We plant on both ends of the arch, and the vines grow up both sides of the arch to meet in the middle. It's easy harvesting, since you can go under the arch and harvest the pods that're hanging down through the panels. (If anyone subscribes to Growing for Market, there's a nice picture in the July issue of Liana beans that were grown that way on our farm.)
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #42
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Three-Feet-Plus is a good variety, very long pods, with firm texture & sweet flavor. It seems to have some tolerance for salty soil too; the person who sent me seeds grew it in Florida, and I grew it in a location where the previous occupants had drained their pool. Other long beans (and quite a few other vegetables) do poorly there, but Three-Feet-Plus was vigorous & bore heavily. That trial should be fun. I've been wanting to do that with mine for years, but since I am saving seed each year, there never seems to be a good opportunity.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #43
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Nice to hear that Three-Feet-Plus has done well in both Florida and Wisconsin -- bodes well for it doing well here in Virginia!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #44
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

In the Houston, TX area, when should I plant them? Middle of May, or is that too late?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #45
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfdillon View Post
In the Houston, TX area, when should I plant them? Middle of May, or is that too late?
I am starting mine now. I waited last year to start in May and it got real hot real fast and it really didn't give the beans time to grow enough foliage to keep some foliage from burning up as the plants were small.

With heat and humidity in TX you might want to start now.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote