Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 14, 2013   #1
Skyking
Tomatovillian™

Default Ghost Peppers

anyone had much experience growing these ?
I came across a bunch{125} plants a few days ago and had the room so they're in the ground and I was thinking in terms of growing regular hot jalapenos ,banana peppers and discovered some of these slow growing monster reach 6 ft tall and 3 ft or more in width . what do these things like or dislike ?
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I have grown them. I was surprised how prolific they were since I live in MN (Zone 4). They are so insanely hot, I couldn't find much use for them. I prefer Habaneros, Jalapenos, etc... I use tomato tone fertilizer occasionally. Plant them close together and they'll hold each other up.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #3
mgk65
Tomatovillian™

The first year I grew bhut jolokia (ghost), it grew like crazy, but no fruit!

The second year, Darrel Jones told me to add phosphorus, so the ghost and the trinidads that I got from him grew and fruited like crazy.

I made a hot sauce for me and my friends. I only had three plants.

No idea what I'd do with 125!
mgk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #4
Skyking
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk65 View Post
The first year I grew bhut jolokia (ghost), it grew like crazy, but no fruit!

The second year, Darrel Jones told me to add phosphorus, so the ghost and the trinidads that I got from him grew and fruited like crazy.

I made a hot sauce for me and my friends. I only had three plants.

No idea what I'd do with 125!
Thanks for the help and I make a lacto fermented sauce and have a huge dryer and well will add it to the Farmers mkt list and see what happens
Old June 18, 2013   #5
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I have grown bhut jolokia and naga morrich for several years. Mine grow to 3' or a little more. I grow them in my pepper garden with all the rest of the peppers so they have the same dirt which is fairly rich and well drained with good tilth. I amend every year or so with good rich compost. Ghost peppers are slow developing initially, but once the weather warms they start to take off.

The peppers are very hot, in fact I put them in the super hot category. I'm not real keen on the flavor. One of the uses I have for them is to take them to the Pepper Pack at work. The Pepper Pack is 16 pepper heads who want to eat the hottest peppers in the world to show they can do it. Of course now the ghost peppers have been superceeded by the Trinidad Scorpion which I am growing. One of the Pepper Pack members made ABTs (atomic buffalo terds - look up how to make them on the internet they are quite good much better than you'd think). So that is something you might look into.

Another use is making sauce which you mentioned. You mentioned having a huge dryer. I assume you mean a dehydrator type thing. If that is the case do it in a well ventilated area or better yet outside. You may want some kind of mask or something for breathing protection.

Always handle these peppers with gloves - I use vinyl medical gloves. When handling large numbers you may want thicker gloves or double up the thinner gloves. If you accidently get the oils on your hands the best thing to use is mechanics hand cleaner (gojo is recommended). When you eat them try the flesh first. The membrane is where the heat is. If you need something to settle your mouth down use ice cream. If ice cream isn't available use milk. At Pepper Pack events we use whole milk.

125 ghost pepper plants? What were you thinking? Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #6
Skyking
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post

125 ghost pepper plants? What were you thinking?

well is was more like a pepper rescue if you know what I mean

and thanks for the good advice and I'll look up the recipe you suggested.We're getting lot's of rain over this way ,at least I got the last 24 in the ground yesterday.We'll see how the season progresses and will be better able to adjust to the learning curve and will let you know the outcome.
Old July 21, 2013   #7
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

Dry and powder the pods. Or contact me when they are ready, and I will buy them from you! I only have 1 bhut red this year because I have hotter. My favorite is yellow fatalii.
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #8
Tania
Tomatovillian™

125 Ghost pepper plants - wow! I am speechless. LOL

But I would have done the same pepper rescue thing! So good luck with those, I hope they will thrive and produce in abundance!

We use hot peppers for making a traditional Georgian sauce called Adjika, and I often wish I had some super hots to add to it, as it takes lots of Jalapeno peppers to make it medium hot, and we love more heat in the sauce.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Smoke the peppers, dry, and powder them. Smoking cuts the heat a little, and you can use them in innumerable rubs, sauces, and spice mixes. You would not believe the depth of flavor that smoking gives them.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote