Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 25, 2015   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Cool Temp Tomatoes That also resist Heat

I have been gardening on the West Coast for a few years we are mild
wintered ...but one year we only had 4 days above 70 F/ 20 C by the august long weekend ....my usual strategy was to pick all Cool and early types and put seedlings out in the ground /containers ...like May 2nd and early and cover them if it got any where close to frost till safe ...I seemed to be rewarded by the ones that seemed to respond and still progress in the (sub 70 F) cold ...Siberia (rugose dwarf), Silvery Fir, Cosmonaut Volkov, Sasha's Altai ,Stupice ...and others. Choosing this strategy with cool/early and cool climate produced outstanding yields ...and many were surprised I could pull it off in the cool years .
lately the last few years We seem to have had record heat in May ( so called Maugust)...so my old strategy is maybe not Quite as a perfect match for what the local weather is providing ........ I am Thinking there are some Tomato cultivars that are known for BOTH Cool Temp setting fruit as well as Heat resistance and good fruit set.

I am not really looking for a scientific list.. more like a Tomato grower anecdotal observation collective wisdom List :

Stupice

Kimberly

Yellow Pear

Gold nugget (parthenocarpic ?)
Legend
Siletz

Gregori's Altai

Bloody Butcher

Sweet Chelsea

lollipop ?

Hybrids : Big beef Sungold

Does anyone have any ideas/ Suggestions for Cool Tomatoes (Set fruit at Low temps) but would also Withstand the heat ?? I would welcome any comments advise corrections etc.
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote