Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 23, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Lycopersicon glandulosum Peruvian Wild Tomato

Was wondering since this variety is not self compatible, is there any special tips or tricks to get a cross to take?

This species stigmas exert well beyond the anther cone and are self-incompatible. They are exclusively outbreeders.
Crossing this species with the cultivated tomato, L. esculentum, is extremely difficult due to several barriers which exist. The stigma of L. glandulosum will not accept pollen from the cultivated tomato and almost always leads to the abortion of the flower. The reciprocal cross, pollen from L. glandulosum applied to the stigma of L. esculentum, can result in the formation of fruit but few seeds are viable. However, some of the seeds do contain embryos of sufficient size to facilitate embryo rescue.

So if I am reading that right to make a cross I will use the Peruvian Wild Tomato as the male only and use the pollen to try and cross it to the female plant?

If so, what type of crosses would people be interested in seeing? Also if I can get the crosses to take would any one be interested in forming a project out of it and doing grow outs?

I will go ahead and list some of the traits that might be expected:

As far as disease resistance goes:
Tomato spotted wilt virus - Lots of research projects documenting strong resistance to TSWV
early blight
leaf mold
fusarium wilt
septoria leaf spot
nematodes

It is also reported to have some insect resistances but most of that research is in South American countries so not sure how much of that would apply.

Forgot to add that drought resistance and also some frost resistance has been noted in some research I have read but the results were inconsistent.

F1 hybrid with a red tomato as the parent from what I have read usually produces green to greenish yellow fruits and some yellow and orange fruits, F2 green, yellows, oranges and possible red fruit. F3 is were the purple or bluish trait tends to show up.

Size wise the f1 fruits when parented by a commercial type tomato tend to be larger than the Wild Peruvian fruit. In F2 -F3 generations the fruit size and shape will vary.

Since the Wild Peruvian has to be used as the male parent a successful cross will be indicated by the wild type plant traits and growth habit its not in till further grow outs that cultivated tomato characteristics will appear. (note that selection of larger darker seeds will give more of the cultivated tomato properties)

For my possible grow outs resistance traits will be hard to realistically select for, So I will be using different factors: plant characteristics, Fruit color, size and shape leaf size shape, general health characteristics Self compatibility (The ability of the plants to self pollinate{This may require SIB crossing at the F1/ F2 phase}) Course taste will also be a factor as well.

Other possibilities for the crosses would be an OP root stock suitable for grafting at a reduced cost vs the expensive hybrid types on the market.

Last edited by Stepheninky; September 23, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2010   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Question for some of the experienced crossers on the forum would it be better to do a direct cross or should I do a bridge cross with something like a current or cherry tomato first and then use that to make follow up crosses since the Peruvian Wild Tomato is self-incompatible and even as a male in the cross is not very efficient when crossed with L. esculentum.

Would it be easier to cross it with Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium (current tomato) as the female and L. peruvianum as the male. (are they more compatible) then use that grow out to cross with more desirable tomatoes?

Just thinking since the Current type tomato has a high affinity to cross with L. esculentum it might be an easier route in the long run.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #3
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

tgrc.ucdavis.edu look at this sit believe you will locate your info...not easy stuff.
-d
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #4
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Are there any updates to this thread? Is anyone currently working on these types of crosses?

I'm asking because I noticed that I have some young L. glandulosum plants growing in the greenhouse, and I'm wondering what to use them for.

The self incompatibility trait seems like just the thing to incorporate into my promiscuously pollinating tomatoes.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here is another thread by the same OP - several others with experience have posted some info about the peruvianum and/or its cross from TWF.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15986
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #6
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I grew about 6 L. glandulosum plants in my garden last summer in a clump. They flowered well, but didn't set fruit until late fall. I didn't find any seeds in the pea sized berries.
Old March 8, 2016   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a number of taxonomy systems are currently calling this species: Solanum corneliomuelleri
Old March 9, 2016   #8
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, the name change was a result of a paper published about 8 years ago. They broke up the tomato clade into 15 distinct species. One of those interesting trivia items you can find on the net is that S. Arcanum will sometimes cross with S. Lycopersicum. It is reported as a difficult cross with very rare seed set.

Quote:
We recognize four species segregated from the polymorphic Solanum peruvianum sensu lato: S. peruvianum L. s.str., S. corneliomulleri J. F. Macbr., and two new species S. arcanum Peralta and S. huaylasense Peralta.
http://cgn.websites.wur.nl/pgr/tomat...e%20tomato.pdf
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #9
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Blah!!!! So no telling what species it actually is that came to me labeled S. peruvianum.... Oh well, at least there are morphological descriptions of each species. Thanks Fusion_Power.

Last edited by joseph; March 9, 2016 at 04:36 PM.