Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old November 22, 2017   #421
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

18 pints of cranberry preserves, average market value around $185.
Worth
IMG_20171122_3327.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #422
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
18 pints of cranberry preserves, average market value around $185.
Worth
Attachment 77786
Oh wait, is that a joke? $10.00 plus for a pint when I see cranberry jelly for sale right at a dollar all over and even whole fresh cranberries selling at $1.29, so it must be a joke, one I didn't get, never mind.

Last edited by imp; November 22, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #423
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...9aACCC8&adurl=
Old November 22, 2017   #424
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...9aACCDQ&adurl=
Old November 22, 2017   #425
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/holi...SABEgLREvD_BwE

Looks like a tasty jam, well prepared. Good company, too, reliable to order from.
Old November 22, 2017   #426
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Worth. well done. it does have a good value I sell my jams and jellies for $5 1/2 pint. I sold 16 at my lat market. I would have sold more if I had taken more. I didn't know what to expect.

Imp, why would you have thought that was a joke? for anyone who makes a hand crafted food item we have a lot more cost in it than a commercial cannery. my jars alone are almost 10.00 for a dzn. of pints. I can't not mark up the cost of the jar or absorb the cost or not charge at all for the jar. My fruit is small quantity purchase... not a train car or contracted with a farmer or I have to grow it myself. I still have to charge for that. Sugar nor pectin is cheap. Certo is 4.00 a box here. I am always on the lookout for marked down certo. Time to make it and electric. don't belittle someones efforts or value of their product. or not apologize for it after you see that it truly does have that worth to it. you keep jumping on Worth and I don't understand why. even if you didn't intend for it to sound like it... it sounded like it. so, I apologize if I took your comment out of context.
Old November 22, 2017   #427
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Looks great Worth. well done. it does have a good value I sell my jams and jellies for $5 1/2 pint. I sold 16 at my lat market. I would have sold more if I had taken more. I didn't know what to expect.

Imp, why would you have thought that was a joke? for anyone who makes a hand crafted food item we have a lot more cost in it than a commercial cannery. my jars alone are almost 10.00 for a dzn. of pints. I can't not mark up the cost of the jar or absorb the cost or not charge at all for the jar. My fruit is small quantity purchase... not a train car or contracted with a farmer or I have to grow it myself. I still have to charge for that. Sugar nor pectin is cheap. Certo is 4.00 a box here. I am always on the lookout for marked down certo. Time to make it and electric. don't belittle someones efforts or value of their product. or not apologize for it after you see that it truly does have that worth to it. you keep jumping on Worth and I don't understand why. even if you didn't intend for it to sound like it... it sounded like it. so, I apologize if I took your comment out of context.
I thought it was a joke I didn't "get" because of the pricing versus what cranberries sell for or even what cranberry sauce sells for. It was an honest mistake on my part related to costs.

dozen and 1/2 jars and lids $7.86 a dozen, comes at about $12.00 ( rounded up) https://www.google.com/search?q=cann...nt=firefox-b-1

12 quarts of cranberries around here, @ 99¢ to $1.29 per, so $15.48 (using higher cost)

No sugar, no pectin per earlier post of worth's, so no cost.

Lime juice, amount unknown, so say $2.00 ( price for 32 ounce bottle)

Unknown cooking time, takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook cranberries whole ( for me) and add another 15 minutes for processing, let's say an hour's worth of electricity/gas - a guess, entirely a guess, but let's say $8.00.

Total : $37.48 for 18 jars or $2.08 per pint jar.

$185.00 value amount minus supply and production costs of $37.48 leaves $147.52 for 1 hour of labor/profit; or $8.19 per pint for profit and labor.

So, for me, the numbers didn't work and I thought it was some sort of joke that I didn't "get" or a spoof on internet prices, or something?

You stated you sell 1/2 pints of jam/jellies, so yep, that would bring your pint charge to $10.00; you do however add sugar and pectin, yes? And that adds to the costs, plus most fruit is higher priced right now than cranberries are, excepting maybe apples in some areas. Plus, that is for any version of fruit, even berries ( blackberries, raspberry or ??) which are a higher dollar product to either buy or grow, unless you have them growing wild, but the labor cost is still high for picking.

You are also a commercial seller, though not a big cannery- worth is not, and the jelly was not prepped in a commercial kitchen as is required by state law here, so other than running numbers against his valueation, well that is how I came to the thought it was a joke.

So, no, carolyn, I was not trying to be rude and am still trying to not be rude now.

For your own knowledge, the listing for walmart in the link I posted, they will also ship to you, free of charge if your order is $35.00 or more, easy to get to that amount with ordering jars. They ship well, none of my orders have had problems as yet.

One thing further, carolyn, you seem to be jumping on me about anything I say to or about worth, choosing to assume the worst about me. You are jumping on me as you are accusing me of jumping on worth, which is the same thing you accuse me of doing, even though I have hardly posted anything to him for awhile now. I didn't post anything to him even when he blamed me in another thread and I wasn't there.

I would have hoped you would have thought better of me, <shrug> but I guess you do not and I will simply accept that. I still choose to think kindly of you.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Last edited by imp; November 22, 2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling and correct wording lest something be taken wrong.
Old November 22, 2017   #428
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I didn't say what I put in it other than lime juice at that time, I will not divulge what else I put in it other than sugar.
Maybe nothing else maybe not.

I go through a ton of lime juice around here because I love lime.
All of this is my years supply of preserves jam or whatever you want to call it.
I cant stand nasty sweet store bought stuff of any kind anymore and I use it for cooking.
Plus it goes great with salami and salty hams plus a mayonnaise mixed with cranberry salami sandwich to me is to die for.
I can eat raw whole sour cranberries like candy.
6 jars left to make hot cranberry preserves from red ripe ghost peppers.
Still cranberries in the freezer and I will buy more, I always have cranberries in the freezer year round.

Last edited by Worth1; November 22, 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old November 22, 2017   #429
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I didn't say what I put in it other than lime juice at that time, I will not divulge what else I put in it other than sugar.
Maybe nothing else maybe not.

snipped.

Quote:
No just lime juice and water.
Well I might add a ghost pepper to some of it.
Worth
going by the information in the post.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...331#post672331

Last edited by imp; November 22, 2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: to clarify where I got the information
Old November 22, 2017   #430
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
going by the information in the post.
I know I saw it and didn't edit it for what ever reason maybe I was driving and at a stop light.
Old November 22, 2017   #431
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Good for you, Worth. There's nothing tastier than homemade jams/jellies.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #432
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Here is a little cranberry jelly. A fun video for the holiday.

//www.today.com/video/how-ocean-spray-jellied-cranberry-sauce-is-made-1093384259762
Old November 22, 2017   #433
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

My apologies Imp.
Old November 23, 2017   #434
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

And I'm not jumping on anyone, but a general comment on the subject of selling in the spirit of Small Business Saturday (which is this coming Saturday, 11/25/17).

There are a lot of hidden costs that many don't consider when deciding if a handcrafted item or something from a small producer is over priced based on what they can buy a mass produced version for.

If your doing business "above the table," there might be a state sales tax you have to collect and pay. If the remainder of your "profit" is "income," there's the FICA, federal, and possibly state income taxes to be paid. And let's not forget the possible Board of Health license, facility inspection fees, and professional liability insurance to protect you from any law suits if your product makes someone sick. And, of course, if you're self employed, have no other job or a spouse or partner to provide coverage, and are under age 65, you also have to squeeze out enough to cover your health insurance.

All of these can quickly land a budding entrepreneur (who is not running an under the table business) broke and out of business if they aren't able to cover their costs and still have enough left to support themselves.

I hope all our market sellers, crafters and small seed vendors have a profitable pre-holiday season!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #435
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw a video completely unrelated to food where a guy buys wee jars of jam for 6 dollars or something maybe more.
I thought what the devil that stuff it over the top expensive.
Then it dawned on me it was hand made by the girls that sold it, it was in Portland and it was at a market booth place thing.

(((People are willing to pay more for this sort of thing.)))

But is that really true?

Or is that what stuff really costs and the other stuff is at such a lower cost we have forgotten what the real cost of stuff is.

Many of us can make fun of hipsters, millennials and young folks all we want but we would be cutting our own throats to do so.
It took one to open my eyes when he told me I have so much to offer them and Austin in so many ways.

These people are just as sick of a broken system as we are.
Such as all these food poisoning outbreaks and fake food.
They want hand made quality that is hard to find and they are willing to pay for it.
As opposed to many in my generation that said so many times, "Why would I pay that much for something when I can get it at Walmart for way less."

I have fought that mentality for years to no avail.
Now I dont have to anymore if I choose.

And yes by darn I still have and use that book case I made my wife 35 or so years ago for her birthday.
It has been moved I dont know how many times and as good as new.
Say that about some piece of crap out of Walmart 35 years from now.

So in reality this young folks are a blessing for me around here not a curse.
I cant count how many have told me, 'I wish I knew how to do that.

Worth