Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 17, 2010   #46
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carol,

I am getting smaller seeds this year than usual from most of my varieties. I think this may be environmental. Lots of seedless fruits or fruits with immature seeds.

I have not got many seeds from my Green Doctors Frosted.

Oh, I also had a few germination tests failing this year (well, not failing completely, but showing unsatisfactory results) - I think it had to do with seed maturity. In the past years I consistently got ~100% germination.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; September 17, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #47
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozengirl View Post
I ordered from Carol twice over the past two years and she went WAY beyond the call of duty to get me my stuff on time/short notice. Seed germination was great and she even provided extra seeds. Looking forward to falls seed list.
Carol's seed was a little late, but everything looks good, and I'm not going to sow tomatoes before March anyway.

Last edited by GunnarSK; December 15, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #48
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Don't blame the post office, it was just me.

I've been terribly busy with the farm markets and collecting and processing the seeds the last several months. I got way behind on the few orders I got during the end of Aug, Sept and Oct.

I'm still having a hard time finding the energy to do everything right now. I hope things settle down soon as we are almost done with markets and that should give me a couple of days back I used on that.

I still have a whole lot of varieties I hope to collect yet this year tho pics are out for now. But we did get some pics of the stuff collected earlier. I have a lot of work to do before I will be able to update the web site for 2011 seeds.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2010   #49
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick update as I know some of you are looking to see what's new at the various sites.

I have about 30 germination tests done and good. I will be making a 2011 page soon, if other jobs don't get in the way. Meanwhile here is a list of those first varieties. If you really need something quick give me an email until I get the page up.

Spelling of varieties not checked yet for acuracy of the names.

Cowlick's Brandywine
Goose Creek
**Goldman's Italian American
Aussie
**Indiana Red
**Monkey A$$
Ashleigh
Green Doctors Frosted
Orange Flesh Purple Smudge
Tsar Kolokol
Yugoslavian
**Tommy Toe Yellow
Golden Sunrise
Shapka Monomakha
Campbell's 1327
**San Pierre

Starred varieties above I have only a very small amount of seed so far. There may be more seed still to be processed tho.

These below, I haven't weighed yet.

Joe Laverer
Kang Bing
Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
Beauty Queen
Scabitha
Terhune
True Black Brandywine (WWW variety)
Orlinyi Kleuv
Golden Cherokee
Peak of Perfection
Porter Dark Cherry
German Johnson
Black Prince

Thanks,
Carol
Old November 28, 2010   #50
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Between processing and picking for markets i finally got a very basic page up for the new varieties I have ready so far. No descriptions yet as I just wanted to get some kind of page up.

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....eeds-2011.html

Now to set up some germination tests on more stuff that's drying.

Thanks for looking,
Carol
Old November 28, 2010   #51
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Awesome - I see some I want.

But - do you think Indian Stripe will be up soon? If so, I'll wait. Or - should I put an order in, and maybe add to it?

Just one website comment - I think you used to have an "all" page. It's a little bit of a project to hunt through a few different pages, to find varieties. But, it's worth it for the wonderful selection
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2010   #52
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just checked and Indian Stripe, Ramapo and Amazon Chocolate are among the varieties processed this week. So it will be about 2 weeks before they are tested.

I know you had asked about Cherokee Chocolate too. I had that variety in the greenhouse as seedlings, but it looks like that is among the varieties I lost when my back went out this spring and i couldn't work on stuff.

Yah, I know the web site isn't the way i really want it, but I've just been too far behind on everything to get it sorted out yet. Hopefully that will get done sometime this spring before I get busy with the greenhouse.

Carol
Old November 28, 2010   #53
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wasn't me asking about Cherokee Chocolate (although the name sounds interesting). Must have been someone else.

Back out - ow. No fun.

Oh, your website is good - I didn't mean to criticize really, just that one thing. And I'm sure it's tons of work (the plants, the seeds, the website) - I can't imagine.

I'll just go ahead an order some varieties, I can do a separate order for the Indian Stripe when it's ready. Or, if you want to wait to ship mine until it's ready, that'd be great too. Obviously, I'm not planting anythign soon here.
Old November 28, 2010   #54
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Why don't you just wait til I get the Indian Stripe up. That'll save you the second shipping charge. It's not really worth it for just a pack or 2.

Carol
Old November 29, 2010   #55
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Ah, I saw this too late, already ordered stuff.

But you know - your prices are so good, and your shipping so reasonable, it really isn't a problem.

Great selection btw
Old November 29, 2010   #56
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I thought that order was from you. I was out in the barn working on seeds for a few hours so didn't see your other post in time.

If you don't need the seeds right away, I can hold this order til I get more stuff up and then ship all items together. Then I will refund the second shipping that the cart will put on automatically. Whatever works for you.

I just set up about 20 batches of seeds for germination tests. But that's only about a dozen varieties as some were duplicates of varieties already listed. There are more than 30 other new varieties drying and we have well over 100 buckets still out in the barn to be processed.

It was warm yesterday so that's why I did a few then. It should be decent today and tomorrow too so hopefully we will get about a dozen or so done before the weather turns again. I have to work between taking my Mom to the doctor today tho.

Seems like there is always something else to do lately so the processing has been a bit slower than I had hoped this year. But I checked my book from last year and we actually have done more batches already. It's just that we had so many new-to-me varieties this year it seems like I'm behind.

As far as selection goes, I try to notice what varieties are getting the good attention in posts here and especially those that people say they can't get at any site. I have all the land I need so I can grow whatever I want. This year tho the weather and a cultivator tractor that refused to work most of the year made it a bit difficult to do all that I wanted to do.

Oh well there's always next year.

Carol
Old November 29, 2010   #57
tam91
Tomatovillian™

No worries Carol, whatever's easiest for you. I certainly don't need the seeds in a hurry, so if it's easier for you to wait and ship them at once, that'd be great. Again, the shipping cost really isn't any big deal. Maybe I'll find a few more to order, ya never know

Sure does sound like a lot of work!
Old December 14, 2010   #58
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just posted an updated 2011 page on my web site.

There are now 73 new-to-me varieties. I also put place holders in for the 20+ varieties that I'm germination testing right now. Hopefully I will add the buy buttons for them next week.

Thanks for looking,
Carol
Old December 27, 2010   #59
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Carol
You certainly have some very nice, new varieties! I know you'll be
adding descriptions soon but just wanted to ask quickly, what's
Joe Laverer like? Couldn't find any info on it anywhere. Thanks, Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2010   #60
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Other than it was a decent sized tomato, I couldn't say right now. I looked up who I got it from tho. It was darwinslair along with the Terhune variety. He should have more info about it.

That reminds me, I need to send him some Cowlicks seeds. He had asked after I ran out of the seeds last year. Thanks to you, I now have plenty of them and some other good varieties.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to save all the interesting varieties I got last year. Too many problems thru the year.

But we got a pretty good amount of new stuff. We are still processing a few more too when it's not too cold out in the barn. I think we should have about 30 more that I hope will germinate OK.

Carol