Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 26, 2012   #1
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 mystery varieties from seed exchange

I've been researching all the wonderful seeds I received as part of Heathers exchange and came across a small number that I couldn't find much on and was hoping folks could help me fill in the gaps.
  • Travel - Is this Reisetomate?
  • De Barao Tsarskiy - I found a picture in Tatiana's DB but it didn't have a page of its own. I'm guessing its similar to the other De Barao listed so maybe a paste type greenhouse variety adapted for low light and late blight resistance.
  • Seek-No-Further Love Apple - I see lots of search results to this forum showing it on people's grow lists and even a couple of pictures. Any further info on this variety's origin/background or even a description of its taste? This is all I really have: "This one has a pleasant juicy mild-but-not-sweet flavor with fruit sizes between 5 and 14 oz."
  • Annie Sunshine - Only search results I got were from an Etsy seller. The pictures on the etsy site look like Yellow submarine from the pictures on that site.
  • Hanston Yellow - I can't find anything about this one.
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I can only guess that 'Travel' is 'Voyage' variety.

Annie Sunshine - was a volunteer plant from the garden of Patty Brown, Ohio. Patty thought it was probably a mutation from Gregg Park's Golden Egg. Named by and after Patty Brown's daughter, Andrea.

De Barao Tsarskiy - Russian commercial variety, a strain of De Barao, said to have some tolerance to late blight.

Could Hanston Yellow be a misspelled Hartsack Yellow? Or Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry? (I know it is a long shot, but I cannot find any other name that is close)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Travel might also be Traveler.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

There is a town named Hanston in Kansas:
http://www.americantowns.com/ks/hanston-local-food

The Cookin' Cowgirl is married to someone from Hanston:
http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/20...y-oatmeal.html

(I do not know if that helps. There are also people with
the last name Hanston, so it could have come from
anywhere.)
Old December 26, 2012   #5
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Accordingly to Russian web sites, De Barao Tsarsky is productive, disease resistant and shade –tolerant.

Picture is taken from here:
http://www.lazareva.info/russkaya-dusha-kak-ty-xorosha/
Old December 26, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Travel might also be Traveler.
What's known as Arkansas Traveler was introduced by the U of Arkansas as Just Traveler and someone plopped the name Arkansas on it, so it's not that one.

But I have seen Reisetomate referred to as both Voyage, as Tania mentioned, and also Traveler. There's usually some story about taking some of the fruits on a trip and snapping off the fused charry tomatoes on the surface to eat along the way.

Having grown Reisetomate I think I'd pack some sandwiches and REAL fruit to take along with me.

Carolyn, who notes that it's been about two hours since I started this post, stuff happens.
Old December 26, 2012   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn, who notes that it's been about two hours since I started this post, stuff happens.
It's happened to me more than once. Then I have to edit it so it makes some sense with what someone else posted in the time between when I started and when I finished. I also have to remove what one or the other of the cat's contributed to the posts. They aren't very good at spelling or punctuation.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #8
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
There is a town named Hanston in Kansas:
http://www.americantowns.com/ks/hanston-local-food

...people with the last name Hanston, so it could have come from
anywhere.)
I'm hoping whoever sent it in for the exchange will have an idea, because as you said it could sort of be from anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
Accordingly to Russian web sites, De Barao Tsarsky is productive, disease resistant and shade –tolerant.

Picture is taken from here:
http://www.lazareva.info/russkaya-dusha-kak-ty-xorosha/
Now thats a pretty picture hard to get an idea of size though.

Quote:
What's known as Arkansas Traveler was introduced by the U of Arkansas as Just Traveler and someone plopped the name Arkansas on it, so it's not that one.
It was typed out so nicely and neatly too. It seems weird they would drop the Arkansas part and the -er. Though that is where my mind went first too.

Quote:
Having grown Reisetomate I think I'd pack some sandwiches and REAL fruit to take along with me.
lol. Reisetomate looks so neat I sort of suspected it couldn't look that neat AND taste good. I only have space for 8 plants a year so I'd hate to have to grow it out to find out.

Quote:
It typed mine in the middle of the night while trying to calm a crying baby so his mother could sleep. Mine took awhile to type too. I even did the copy thing before submitting thing in case something timed out (I've lost posts to that in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I can only guess that 'Travel' is 'Voyage' variety.
I know some people translate names into english so that was the closest I came for a possibility.

Quote:
Annie Sunshine - was a volunteer plant from the garden of Patty Brown, Ohio. Patty thought it was probably a mutation from Gregg Park's Golden Egg. Named by and after Patty Brown's daughter, Andrea.
Big thanks, I didn't have much hope this would be identified and was suspecting it was someone's 'cute' made up name for something else. Good to know it wasn't. I'll go look up Golden Egg to get an idea of what to expect from it.

Quote:
Could Hanston Yellow be a misspelled Hartsack Yellow? Or Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry? (I know it is a long shot, but I cannot find any other name that is close)
It was typed so if it was misspelled it probably was from before whoever sent it. Maybe whoever offered it for trade can clear it up.

Last edited by Pants; December 26, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old December 26, 2012   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Seek-No-Further Love Apple was available through SSE, so someone with access to the yearbooks might be able to help you with that one.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Seek-No-Further Love Apple was available through SSE, so someone with access to the yearbooks might be able to help you with that one.
Kath,here's my opinion about asking an SSE member to obtain varieties from the Yearbooks, which I have posted here before and I know some others feel the same way I do.

Not that you asked, but you know me.

First, the largest income to SSE comes from membership monies so if others are asking SSE members to get varieties for them, then that's a loss of $$$ to SSE.

Second, I've been an SSE member since 1989 and only twice have I asked for some varieties for someone else, and only from listed members that I know well.

Will someone find an SSE member who will fetch varities for non-SSE members, probably, and probably from members who they don't know at all.

Just my perspective on this issue.

Well I fremember the time I got a long list of variety requests from someone and many on that list I was no longer listing. it turns out that sometimes Yearbooks end up in libraries and those perusing them don't know that one can only request seeds from the current Yearbook and the current 2012 Yearbook will soon be obsolete until the 2013 is available. I didn't check but I don't think the online 2013 is available online yet, in any case there are many of us who will not accept requests from the online anymore, it's complicated.

All submissions for the 2013 go to the online first b'c the paper Yearbook, which I prefer, is printed from the online. So with my SSE blurb I say that I will only accept requests with the 2013 SSE request form sent by mail.

Carolyn, the contrarian.
Old December 26, 2012   #11
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I already have the seeds. I just want to know what it is I have.
Old December 26, 2012   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, since Pants is just seeking information, I thought maybe someone who has access to the yearbooks might be willing to look up the entries for Seek-No-Further Love Apple to see what history might be given and share the information with him.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #13
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Grew DeBarao Pink last year but have no idea what the difference is between that and the ones you have. Mine looked very similar to the pic you have, and were roughly the size of a grocery store chicken egg.

The De Barao Pinks were certainly productive. The main complaint I had was that we had a lot of rain and they lost their flavor and split very badly with too much moisture.

Don't know if that helps at all.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #14
Pants
Tomatovillian™

livin' that definitely helps. I grow in Earthtainers so knowing they don't handle high moisture well means I might want to save the seeds for when I get some raised beds installed.
Old December 26, 2012   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I've been researching all the wonderful seeds I received as part of Heathers exchange and came across a small number that I couldn't find much on and was hoping folks could help me fill in the gaps.
  • Travel - Is this Reisetomate?
  • De Barao Tsarskiy - I found a picture in Tatiana's DB but it didn't have a page of its own. I'm guessing its similar to the other De Barao listed so maybe a paste type greenhouse variety adapted for low light and late blight resistance.
  • Seek-No-Further Love Apple - I see lots of search results to this forum showing it on people's grow lists and even a couple of pictures. Any further info on this variety's origin/background or even a description of its taste? This is all I really have: "This one has a pleasant juicy mild-but-not-sweet flavor with fruit sizes between 5 and 14 oz."
  • Annie Sunshine - Only search results I got were from an Etsy seller. The pictures on the etsy site look like Yellow submarine from the pictures on that site.
  • Hanston Yellow - I can't find anything about this one.
Annie Sunshine is listed on Remy's website here, but not for sale.
http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=33 Maybe contact her for more info?
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote