Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2014   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default Negro Tegurta

I just got seeds from a variety called Negro Tegurta. I cant find any informations on google or elswhere.
Does anyone know this tomato? hoping for Carolyn to see this.....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Charlene, any chance that the spelling might be wrong?
Tengeru?
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #3
charline
Tomatovillian™

I dont think so. It was labeled as negro tegurta and the same word it the letter that came with.
I looked up Tengeru, this is a hybrid. So it is not the same for sure as on semeurs we are not allowed to exchange hybrids. And it is red. Negro Tegurta should be black if I am not completely wrong
Old November 11, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

I'm seeing it Charline and spent about an hour searching for a place name, variations on the Tegurta part, to Tania's listings to Ventmarin in France, didn't go to Tomordori, but then looked in my 2014 SSE Yearbook and found what I think you are referring to.

Whoever sent you the seeds changed the real name of the variety and I was not surprised to find it was from Spain with Tegurta, which is close to the actual as part of the variety name and yes, I've been in Spain as well.

The variety is black and here it is:

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/car...o-de-almoguera

Hope that helps, and yes, Tania listed it with the same background info as saved in Spain, but not other detail and she has it listed as being red.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Knowing the real name I went back to Ventmarin and not this specific one but all with Nego de are from Spain.

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom.../tomates_n.htm

Hope that helps.

Carolyn, and Terry who owns The Secret seed cartel is a member here and her site is listed in the seed sources here. She's fluent in French, visits France at last once each year to visit special friends, has done some translating for me and last time bought me back some great Chocolate and macaroons glace, which I know I didn't spell correctly.
Old November 11, 2014   #5
charline
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, you are the best !!!
I also did a lot of search but not even ventmarin had it. Tomodori is always referring to ventmarin.
So this is a real rare variety that I got.... I sure will grow it and will tell you next year about.
I have 10 seeds and I am willing to share 5 of them if someone is really interested.

a big thank you to Carolyn who loves marrons glacés....
Old November 12, 2014   #6
charline
Tomatovillian™

The man who sent me the seeds has a picture of this tomato.
Il looks very like the Negrillo de Almoguera.

He says a friend of his calls it also Tijuana Negro but I looked it up at ventmarin and I dont think it is that one.

Old November 12, 2014   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It will be landrace tomato. Google translator writes to me: Tegurta the word in Basque (name of the place?). I have for example: Negro Almeria, Negro Sierra del Segura. I have interest about seeds of tomato Negro Tegurta, I base a private gene bank of seeds Czech and Spanish tomatoes.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
It will be landrace tomato. Google translator writes to me: Tegurta the word in Basque (name of the place?). I have for example: Negro Almeria, Negro Sierra del Segura. I have interest about seeds of tomato Negro Tegurta, I base a private gene bank of seeds Czech and Spanish tomatoes.
Vladimír
Why a landrace Vladimir? If you go to Ventmarin you'll see all the ones you mentioned. And yes, Basque is a region in Spain.

There are are at least four Costolutos named for different areas/cities in Italy, they are about the same, just given different names depending on where they were first found, and I don't call them landraces.

And I found out here at TVille from Ilex, who is from Spain, that there are several different ones all named Huevos de Toro, which was good when I was discussing the origin of one of them that was a large red excellent beefsteak that was renamed Coulilles de Taureau in France/

Just curious why you'd call them landraces.

Carolyn
Old November 12, 2014   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I got the seeds many OP Spanish tomatoes from Baikal. None of these tomatoes is in the EU catalog (recognized varieties). They are:
Avila Gigante, Gigante Castila
Aragon Rojo, Rojo Sierra del Segura
Morado de la Cabrera
Rosa Aragon, Huesca de Rosa, Rosa Sierra Aracena, Rosa de Teruel, Roten Andalucia
Negro Almeria, Cuenca Negro, Negro Sierra del Segura, Negril Almoguera
Plano de Erandio
Avila, Castile, Aragon, Sierra del Segura ... .. are geographic data area where the tomatoes are grown around. Therefore, I tell them landrace with these names I will continue to grow
Avila, Castile, Aragon, Sierra del Segura ... .. are geographic areas (cities, villages), where these tomatoes are grown. Therefore, I tell them landrace and I will continue to grow them with these names.
Vladimír
PS.:Czech genobank uses word ( krajová odrůda = landrace = regional variety). Thus it also translates Google
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0083.JPG (34.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0085.JPG (35.5 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; November 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old February 22, 2015   #10
Conchi Laurent
Tomatovillian™

As for the tomato Negro Tiguanta:

Tiguanta is a person of a Spanish forum.
She had given the seeds of a tomato in her village she did not know the name of Marcelo, another person of the forum.
Governed, well known French forums, asked me to put him in touch with an amateur peppers in Spain. I had put in relation, among other people, with Marcelo.
Marcelo, who found that good tomato seeds gave him the name of the donor.
This tomato does not exist. Tiguanta is not a tomato variety.
By cons, Tiguanta lives in the Jaén region. His village is near the village of Siles.
It is possible, therefore, that this is the tomato OF NEGRO Siles (Siles and I well not say Silex. I had the seeds of the Negro gene bank Siles. I sow the past two years with seeds Negro Flint. I believe 90% of it is the same strain that the name deformed over the trade).
Conchi Laurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This place is a living encyclopedia.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #12
Conchi Laurent
Tomatovillian™

Carolym , It is I who have written in a Spanish forum I have grown in 2014 several origins of tomato Huevo De Toro (Jaén , Málaga and Granada ; origins seeds Gene Bank) and the Couille Bull .
Illex spoke too early . I want to grow again in 2015 for more security in what I say
Old February 22, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchi Laurent View Post
Carolym , It is I who have written in a Spanish forum I have grown in 2014 several origins of tomato Huevo De Toro (Jaén , Málaga and Granada ; origins seeds Gene Bank) and the Couille Bull .
Illex spoke too early . I want to grow again in 2015 for more security in what I say
And now I'm making a connection here. Terry T. spends time in France each year and when the subject came up about Huevos de Toro, she said let me contact my good friend Conchi in Spain and so she did as well as putting up a thread at one of the French speaking message sites to also get info on how Couilles de Taureau got named which was a big help.

And I'm so glad to see you here.

Carolyn
Old February 22, 2015   #14
Conchi Laurent
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn thank you . The problem for me is that I do not speak English (only French and Spanish) .
Old July 12, 2015   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Negro Tegurta so far looks good.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0050.JPG (516.0 KB, 121 views)