Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2017   #1546
bower
Tomatovillian™

Looks like our mild and snow-free spell will be over on Saturday - could be as much as 40 cm of snow (15.7 inches) but there's a lot of uncertainty at this point so... I really hope it's not that much. 20 cm would be a typical snowfall event for us in midwinter. 5-10 cm would be typical for this time of year.

It's continuing windy here with gusts to 80 kph (50 mph) again today and tomorrow, gusting to 110 kph (68 mph) tonight with a punch of rain as well. But tomorrow may be the last day to get anything still for grabs in the garden.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017   #1547
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Lots of rain the last few days and here again. It doesn't look like hubby is going to get very far on fence building over the next week. We still have ceiling drywall that needs removed and replaced. The city is making the final hurricane debris pickup on the 18th this month at no charge. After that date we will have to pay for removal. The ceiling dried out really well with the holes hubby made in it and there is no mold. But, it needs to be replaced and he may be working on that this weekend. Thank goodness its only two sheets worth, but it will be a hard overhead job, not to mention everything has to be removed from the laundry room and garage to get to it. Of course it has to be right above the water heater and wall shelves in the laundry room. The garage piece is above the work bench and above the wall cabinets. Ugh, not going to be a fun job at all.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017   #1548
bower
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, get someone to help with that! You need two hands to do overhead drywall. No way around it.
Old December 15, 2017   #1549
henry
Tomatovillian™

Rent a drywall lift jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Rockporter, get someone to help with that! You need two hands to do overhead drywall. No way around it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW-DrywallWallpaper-Summer-DrywallLift-small-02-A.jpg (4.1 KB, 119 views)
Old December 15, 2017   #1550
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It has been a long while since we have gotten a good rain. This past Tuesday, a burn ban went into effect. The temperatures are pretty comfortable with lows in the 30s and lower 40s and highs around 60F. It's cold and windy today. As I look out the window beside me, I see a few cut down trees and stumps that need to be burnt out, but that will have to wait until the burn ban is lifted. They should have put the burn ban into effect around a month ago, and is why we have not burned the stumps out yet.

There's a chance of rain tomorrow night. It's one of those "Got to see it to believe it" type forecasts. One of the weather people was saying the other day that this year still has a chance of being the warmest one on record. The year started with basically not having a Winter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017   #1551
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, and

more snow

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #1552
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It has been a long while since we have gotten a good rain. This past Tuesday, a burn ban went into effect. The temperatures are pretty comfortable with lows in the 30s and lower 40s and highs around 60F. It's cold and windy today. As I look out the window beside me, I see a few cut down trees and stumps that need to be burnt out, but that will have to wait until the burn ban is lifted. They should have put the burn ban into effect around a month ago, and is why we have not burned the stumps out yet.

There's a chance of rain tomorrow night. It's one of those "Got to see it to believe it" type forecasts. One of the weather people was saying the other day that this year still has a chance of being the warmest one on record. The year started with basically not having a Winter.
Wow, 4+ days ago. It has rained for days and the weather people are already talking about the drought ending. It's supposed to rain again Thursday and Friday. Wouldn't it be funny if the stumps/wood is too wet to burn?

I'm not sure how much it has rained here. Our rainfall gauge broke at the plastic holder, but when you see water standing on a hill - you know it has rained a lot.
Old December 20, 2017   #1553
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We've had a lot of rain. Sunny and high 70's today. Christmas day will be in the 40's.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #1554
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well we had our blizzard/big dump of snow nominally 37 cm and I believe a record for the day Saturday past. I haven't been in the mood for shoveling but finally went out yesterday for several hours and cleared most of it... because today it's raining and 3 C/ 38 F. I was hoping the rain would be just enough to get the shoveled areas down to the bare ground.. but so far it doesn't look like it will be enough. Leaving me with a long messy lane of slush and ice hazard when it freezes up tonight. I may even try to clear some of it this afternoon, as I don't want hazards when friends are expected! Dunno if any of you have ever shoveled slush, but it's a nasty business, no doubt about it. And I will remember to pick up some sand or salt when I go out this afternoon, because there's no way I will have a safe way to walk all the way. The slush I move will still leave pools of water and the snowbanks will add to that meltwater before it freezes. Our highs will be below freezing for the next three days, then 8 C is forecast for xmas eve, and above zero xmas day and boxing day. Those highs are great news for me, no worries about icy driving. You just can't expect a full crew on the snow clearing on xmas day, and I feel bad for the guys who do end up having to do the job.
And all of that is about typical winter weather for us: messy, a yo-yo, and unpredictable. I never mind a wet day above zero, myself. Always happy to see snow melting.
Old December 28, 2017   #1555
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, extreme holiday weather across Canada and also in the States has been the talk of the news. Here we are on a roll with 3 day wind storm - gusting to over 110 kph (around 70 mph) since Boxing Day and power outages here and there keeping the linesmen busy. We had a few squalls with that but the rest of the island is having a blizzard so no complaints here. No ferries have made the crossing since before Christmas and likely tied up a few more days.

Hope everybody had a safe holiday with power to cook your Christmas dinner!
Old December 28, 2017   #1556
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That cold spell is going to make it down to Texas too. Nothing like what Bower has written above, but the forecast is calling for around 72 hours of below freezing and possibly some light ice this coming Sunday. That is more of a typical winter spell for around the DFW-Waco area. About the only times when the wind gets much above 50mph/80kmh is during thunderstorms and tornados.
Old December 28, 2017   #1557
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I thought they said it was going to be a warmer dryer winter.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017   #1558
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I can only get my computer going when the temp in here is about 69 to70. I got it going yesterday but today I had to wait a long time before it made temp.

The next seven days up here are supposed to be even worse,I'm not talking about wind chill,I'm talking about actual temps.

My primary heat here is what's called a Monitor, a Japanese unit that runs with kero vented to the outside and is computer controlled. A computer fan up high in the hallway sends warm here back here but that warm air doesn't know how to make a quick left turn into my bedroom where I have my computer soI have one of those milk house heaters.

Backup is baseboard electric heat but if the power goes out I'm sunk,no alternatives, am totally home bound now and the only way I can leave this house is in an ambulance.

And I am NOT going to deliberately fall to get an ambulance here .I try hard enough already not to fall again.

Fingers crossed that my kero will be delivered this week, I called Monday after Freda looked at the fill level and Julie said I HOPE it will get there this week, long list already,and me too since mine runs on gravity feed not a motor.

So if I don't show up,well.........

Carolyn,oh wonderful since the temp outside got up to 6 and is now back to 4 F. I have a small unit here inside that reads both inside and outside temps.
Old December 28, 2017   #1559
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Cold weather is a good time to check the batteries in one's carbon monoxide detector, whenever any sort of combustion heat is used, and smoke detectors too, I should add, for all of us.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017   #1560
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We have a bit of snow today, which has brought the temperature up. Currently 9F. It's been quite cold since Monday and going back down in the next few days.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote