Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Japanese Pink Cherry Tomato ?

We are eating our first Japanese Pink Cherry tomatoes and they are very good tasting. I looked online for information on them, but only found that other people grow them and like them as well. The word, "Japanese" makes me think they originated in Japan, but not necessarily.

I'm wondering if any of you know anything about their history? Where did they come from? Are they heirloom or something relatively new?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I had read somewhere, and I have no idea if it was true or just some BS in a seed catalog (maybe referring to Momotaro tomatoes?), but that pink and sweet are the favorite kind of tomatoes in Japan. Would your cherry fit the bill (you've already said it is pink so I suppose that much is true)? I know it sounds like a gross generalization, but you could generalize the US as preferring bland, round, red tomatoes sold in stores by sales volume.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It is pink and sweet, but not sweet like Sungold or many of the hybrid cherries. Here is a size comparison picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0056.JPG (38.8 KB, 327 views)
Old May 26, 2016   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Has the size comparable to Carbon Copy. Have you tried that one Robert? I enjoy that cherry tomato immensely. Sorry if I derailed the topic briefly, it will be interesting to hear from
Someone who knows.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; May 26, 2016 at 09:14 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Derailing is fine I have several Carbon Copy growing, but we haven't tasted them yet - they're still green.
Old May 26, 2016   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I had read somewhere, and I have no idea if it was true or just some BS in a seed catalog (maybe referring to Momotaro tomatoes?), but that pink and sweet are the favorite kind of tomatoes in Japan. Would your cherry fit the bill (you've already said it is pink so I suppose that much is true)? I know it sounds like a gross generalization, but you could generalize the US as preferring bland, round, red tomatoes sold in stores by sales volume.
Momotaros are bigger
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It isn't a Momotaro. It was given to me as "Japanese Pink Cherry" - but I guess it could be something someone renamed?

One way or other, it's a tomato I will grow again.
Old May 27, 2016   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I saw several references to it on-line, at some sites. (Roger's Gardens is not a selling site but they have reviews)
It looks very similar to that Sweet Treats from Sakata .. but probably is not..

One site says that the Japanese prefer pink toms - no wonder, they're so pretty! Can't blame them ..

Aesthetics play a large role in som Asian countries - in Japan they also grow luxury fruits & veggies that can cost hundreds of dollars just for a few - they are given as presents, not for everyday consumption though.

If you are going to share seeds later in the season - here is one thankful participant...

Last edited by NarnianGarden; May 27, 2016 at 04:51 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It is pink and sweet, but not sweet like Sungold or many of the hybrid cherries. Here is a size comparison picture.
Nice looking tomatoes.
Those are much larger than large cherries. I consider them saladett size.
But it does not matter what they are named.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #10
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We are eating our first Japanese Pink Cherry tomatoes and they are very good tasting. I looked online for information on them, but only found that other people grow them and like them as well. The word, "Japanese" makes me think they originated in Japan, but not necessarily.

I'm wondering if any of you know anything about their history? Where did they come from? Are they heirloom or something relatively new?
I doubt it's actually from Japan. Asia in general has a very short history with new world crops and tomatoes more so because its seldom used in the local cuisine. There are less than 10 well known seed houses for the Japan market - Mikado seed, Marutane, Kyowa, Kaneko, and Known-You. Of those, I think less than 5 of them had or have a tomato breeding program, and even then, they are usually focused on rootstocks. Tomatoes bred to be consumed are more often supplied from another breeder.

Nearly everything in Japan with regards to tomatoes are hybrids. None of the cherry tomatoes I've seen in Japan have ever been pink. Even at the farmer's markets, you're more likely to see sungold or sweet 100. If you want something like Pink Bumble, it's probably from someone growing on a small scale.

If anything, your pink cherry looks much closer to Sweet Treats F1 by Sakata America, which someone mentioned. Roger's Garden calls this "Japanese Pink Cherry," but it's the same thing. They're using the same stock picture supplied by Sakata.

Last edited by Scooty; May 27, 2016 at 02:25 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just sent a PM to the person I got the seeds from. I think they are OP. She sent me a lot of seeds in that pack.

I'm finding that stock picture at many sites http://www.tomatogrowers.com/SWEET-T...ductinfo/6353/

Here are some pictures I just took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0058.JPG (91.1 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (74.4 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0060.JPG (88.5 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 27, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 27, 2016   #12
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just sent a PM to the person I got the seeds from. I think they are OP. She sent me a lot of seeds in that pack.

I'm finding that stock picture at many sites http://www.tomatogrowers.com/SWEET-T...ductinfo/6353/

Here are some pictures I just took.

Most of the places using the name "japanese pink cherry" seem to both use the stock photo from Sakata's Sweet Treats F1, and omit that it's a F1 hybrid. The description used at several sites indicates it should be smaller than golfball though.

Sweet Treats came out in 2010-ish I think. There should be enough time for people to have selected a few generations out. I'm guessing that's probably what you have, and the previous growers were simply unaware that it was originally a hybrid. That might account for the slight size difference.

If this isn't a selection of Sweet Treats, I have no other idea how they might have arrived at the name "japanese pink cherry."
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

If the taste is good, count me in.. Anything pink gets my vote

(already having Pink Baby F1 seedlings this year, very curious about the color... )
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It could be Russian. They'll name a tomato anything. "Japanese Crab" is Russian, for example.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #15
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I think last year was the first year growing Japanese Pink Cherry. I know I liked them too.. Look similar to yours this year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marco 208.JPG (95.2 KB, 245 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote