Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 12, 2017   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default every thing dying

sad state as the deceases - wilt/mold/ver/vfn#R^ what ever strike every year sprayed with everything like dilute bleach,seranade, draconil, neem bonide copper - just doesn't matter around here. at least they all pumped out a ton of fruit so as i pull the some of the plants i guess i can't complain - but i spent 2 days snipping ugly leaves, watering, picking() and a spray of Seranade tonight just to hope a few keep on going. So far the "big guys" like olive hill, dana's dusky, rebel yell seem ok. Can't complain about a 3' Beauty King or Tennessee Suited putting out 20#'s each before giving in to the "whatever vfn#$#^"

Oh well................... still happy
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad you at least got some fruit before everything decided to give it up. I pulled and burned everything here. To me it just wasn't worth it to try and keep things going for the last few tomatoes, not with all the disease from all the rains we have had here everyday and they still not over. Think this is the first year in about 20 we haven't had the first burn ban or water restriction.

Like you, happy I got some tomatoes and there is always next season to look forward too. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

One of the secrets to having tomatoes this late in the season is to plant staggered dates so that plants are maturing during this time of the year. I still have over 20 out of 39 plants of my first set out which was done in early March and some of them are still making a few tomatoes but if I was counting on those plants for fresh tomatoes this time of the year I would definitely be short on tomatoes to eat. The small planting I did in April is barely producing any fruit anymore but the ones planted in May are putting out a decent amount of fruit and the ones set out in mid June are starting to ripen. Despite the overwhelming disease and pest problems happening this year due to the heavy rain I am still getting enough fresh tomatoes and hope to get more in the fall as the plants set out in July and August start producing. Of course there is always the chance of Late Blight or a particularly bad infestation of spider mites that could certainly end the season or make it not worth continuing.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #4
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill, good idea for me - makes good sense!

Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote