Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 24, 2017   #541
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

as fast as you can get a fence up. even if it is a "snow fence" roll of the plastic grid stuff we use up here for keeping the snow from making drifts on high wind areas in a snow. it comes in green and construction orange. 4'x 100' rolls. pretty lightweight. pound in the posts and zip tie it to the posts.
Old October 24, 2017   #542
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hey Gardeneer!

Congrats on the new pooch! I noticed your new avatar, but just read your note about him

May you have a long and happy life together

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #543
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Worst Neighbor Behavior

What is the stupidest thing you neighbor did around your garden this year?
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #544
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I would love to have a fence up, even a temp one but cannot afford to put one in. The fence saga continues. We are battling with the bank to cash the dang check so we can use the money, but that's a whole other story to deal with.

So, the church cried it's a poor church and the thousands they have paid into insurance over the years and were told the fences would not be covered, also told nothing of the damage they have would be covered. I think that is a bunch of BS just like his story changed about how long the fence had been there and who put it up in the first place. All while he is driving a brand new and very expensive car, one I would never be able to purchase. I suppose it could be he is a part time pastor, but I don't know that for sure.

We finally got him to agree on putting in the posts with the concrete and hubby would do the rest of the fence. But it took a lot to make sure he understood it would be new pressure treated posts, not old ones like he wanted to use. I explained those boards are rotted and weak. We agreed they would go in at 6' spacing and find out too late the guy is putting the posts in at 8 feet, and I blew my top. Then find out he changes his mind to put them every 7 feet because he doesn't want to dig out the concrete that is there from the original posts.

This supposed contractor didn't even bring his own tools and borrowed my husbands leveling string and his 5 ft long level to put the posts in. Geez, such idiots around here. I am so puzzled why things have to be so hard to get them done properly.

Now, I asked the renter neighbor to have her landlord contact us weeks ago regarding the fence and have not heard from him. I also asked the roofers to have the owner of house contact us and gave them my phone number. Never heard a word from him until today when he knocked on the door. He proceeds to tell me he hired a contractor to build the fence and he expects us to pay half. I told him I have been trying to reach you regarding the fence and have not heard back. He told me nobody contacted him. I told him we would not pay anyone to build the fence, my husband will do it and he will do it right. The man tells me the fence posts will be 8' apart and only two horizontal boards.

Oh my gosh, such idiotic dumbbells around here. I told him under no terms will we pay half for anyone to build the fence and those boards better be six feet apart and three horizontal boards. I try to explain to these people we have huge wind gusts that pull the boards off because the wind bows them out in the center. They need to be attached on three contact points and the upright 4x4 should be 6' apart. He also proceeds to tell us he isn't getting a permit for the fences. What an idiot. I am so flabbergasted at the lazy way people do things around here. I informed him it would be in his best interest to get the permit so he wouldn't be fined for building the fence without it. The permit fees have been waived for everyone so there is no reason not to get one. He refuses, he also refused to have his contractor register with the city. My husband said he thinks he is going to open up a can of worms when he goes down to get our permit and they find out he isn't getting a permit. He still refused. Just shaking my head.

So, my husband will build that side of the fence and the neighbor owner will pay for half the materials and it will be done right. At this point I want all those uprights the church put in to be yanked and reset at 6' spaces and we buy the extras needed to build the fence right. They still have about 5 posts that need to be set in.

What really got me on this thing was the neighbor owner decided he would pay these people and we would pay half while the good side is in his yard. So, what we get is the back fence having 7' apart 4x4's and the side would have 8' apart 4x4's. I asked what about our aesthetics. Fences are ugly enough we don't need 4x4 posts that are spaced different on each side of our yard. The fence was on our side before and that is how it will be when we build it back.

Just shaking my head, and the other neighbor isn't doing anything as of yet, you know the one I was so happy had a for sale sign in his yard. Well, it's off the market now so I guess I am stuck with him.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #545
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Technically you cant level a post you make them plumb.
Sorry to hear about the goings on there.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #546
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
What is the stupidest thing you neighbor did around your garden this year?
I don't know if you were asking any one in particular but...

I have a new neighbour kitty corner to me with several bird feeders all summer that attracted all the birds in the neighbourhood AND all the rats plus some new black squirrels - definitely NOT OK !
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #547
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If we are going that way deer feeder with corn sweet feed and sunflowr seeds in it.
Worth
Old November 21, 2017   #548
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update:

Bank finally let us cash the insurance check and hubby ordered all the fence supplies we need to get the fence built. I doubt the trouble maker neighbor next door will pay his part, I am sure he will make excuses like the church did. Oh well, at least we can have a fence again sometime in the future. Hubby sure has a lot of work ahead of him.

I have to give a shout out to McCoy's Lumber because they gave him 10% military discount and didn't charge a fuel surcharge for delivery, only the $35 delivery fee, they said we only lived a few miles down the road so no surcharge added. It came on four huge pallets all stacked up with quickrete on one, all fence pickets on two, and the 4x4 uprights and 2x4 horizontals on another pallet. They delivered them right on the pallet using a forklift, it's perfect. He even stacked them with the 4x4's on top of the 2x4's because we would need those first. A very thoughtful way to stack the wood for us. He also wrapped the quickrete really well to help keep the moisture off of them. It was supposed to drizzle yesterday with some short lived showers included. We covered the pallet with that same tarp the red cross gave us and we used for the car when the top was off of it. Hubby already fixed the top so don't need the tarp on the car anymore.

I asked hubby why he ordered everything (300 feet of fence materials) at one time? We don't have anywhere to secure it. Well, at least the new security camera system we bought arrived last night and the cameras work great. It's a wireless Arlo system with four cameras for outside and two for inside. Of course the two inside are wired and they have a two way speaker in them. Each camera has IR in color for daytime, and black and white for night time. All cameras have a great picture without a bunch of snow in it.

These outdoor cameras also have a GPS setup so we can set them to only monitor our area and not the neighbors houses. I think I liked that the best about them and the biggest reason we decided to try them out. We already tried out another brand (Guardzilla)and the app was terrible and always disconnecting from the cameras, or not connecting at all. I sent those back in a heartbeat. I don't think these are going anywhere but on my house, lol. These Arlo's connect great to the app. We can connect on the cell phones and we can put the app on the computer and monitor from there too.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; November 21, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old November 21, 2017   #549
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wish you all luck with the fence.

Just one of the boards a wee thing that this guy burned up at work for card access was over 600 bucks and he toasted two of them.
But you can get a TV for that much and it has more computing power.
Go figure.

Worth
Old November 21, 2017   #550
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that's expensive Worth!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 21, 2017   #551
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Wow, that's expensive Worth!
Stupid mistake there are two power supplies in the panel one 12 volt the other 24 volts.
Both have battery sets for each one.
Both have the same plugin to the supplies.
He plugged the 24 set into the 12 power supply and killed the boards deader than a hammer.
He did this several times on different jobs and now he is gone.
Head up butt.

I wish I were there to help you guys with the fence I really do.

Worth
Old November 21, 2017   #552
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

How could someone make the same mistake over and over again? Guess it's good he is gone.

Thanks for the thoughts on the fence. Hubby will take it one post at a time. He kinda likes to work that way.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 21, 2017   #553
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

The laws in Texas must be much different than they are around here. Here there really is no fight about fences and neighbors paying a share of it here because the fence belongs to the person whose property it is on, and is completely their responsibility. They say a fence makes the best neighbor, lol. I can see how it would get complicated if neighbors had to share costs and responsibilities and how hard feelings could result. I am glad you finally got your money and the supplies to replace the fence, anyway. Time to move on and get it done. That is a good thing. Nothing worse than a problem that keeps dragging on and making you madder and madder. At least for me.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017   #554
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I ever put a privacy fence up they get the ugly side.
I like bamboo better.

Worth
Old November 21, 2017   #555
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Here if you put up a fence on your property, the good side has to face out towards your neighbors, so that it will not be an eye-sore for them. You have no choice.