Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2018   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I've had bad luck in the past (especially with Miracle-Gro potting mix) - bugs, sticks, rocks, and even an occasional piece of plastic. I've since moved on to higher-quality products (I've settled on Pro-Mix) that have none of the aforementioned issues and are cheaper than the stuff bought from big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's.
I’ve used MG potting mix the past few years, the last bag I bought is full bark, sticks,junk. I posted earlier that I had a few germination issues, well a lot of them were from the potting mix, no issues with jiffy or pro mix. That was the last bag of MG I’ll ever buy.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have tead many good teviews on ProMix. But I make my own 5 - 1 - 1.
Its made from 5 parts pine bark fine (largest piece 3/8" ) one part peat moss and one part coarse perlite. I substitue FloorDry to perlite. It is fired DE that won,t fall apart , it absorbs moisture and at the same time improve drainage. Add a cup of dolomitic lime and a cup of granular all purpose fertilizer per cubic foot of mixture. It can be refreshened and used for 2 to 3 years. It is also very cost effective compared to comercial potting mixes.
I have used it alot in the past but now I don,t do container gardening as I jva ample garden space. But use some of it in the planting hole.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #18
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Pro mix for me from Menards, compressed bales. I use quite a bit as I grow for plant swap in thousands of seedlings. Works well, never a problem.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The one MG bag I bought this year for potting up has rocks in it. I've gone through half the bag and found four rocks that I tossed out in the driveway. Our driveway is a quarter mile long made of caliche sedimentary rock.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am/was thinking about getting MG with the 6 month flavor berries in it for our 5 gallon buckets https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-...1430/206457033 I haven't tried it though.

I have seen bags of Potting Mix in stacks that sat out for a long time growing Bermuda grass in them. Some others that smelt rancid.
MG- just DONT!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #21
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The one MG bag I bought this year for potting up has rocks in it. I've gone through half the bag and found four rocks that I tossed out in the driveway. Our driveway is a quarter mile long made of caliche sedimentary rock.
Yes, I got some rocks in potting soil too! Three pieces of the great Canadian Shield. Pink & black granite.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
MG- just DONT!
point well taken.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote