Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 20, 2018   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default fight red spider

Good afternoon everyone from Spain and thanks in advance.
This year it's raining more than usual, you can not remember a year of so much rain and it's cold, my plants got the septoria fungus and I was about to lose all plants, I was recommended in copper TV at half the recommended dose and The result was incredible, my plants were resurrected.
Now I use it weekly as a preventive and everything is perfect
But this morning I began to see red spider for my garden, every year I fight a lot against the red spider and I have used thousands of home remedies without much success, as they suggest that I fight the red one effectively with alternating copper?
Thank you.
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I guess you mean red spider mites. I do not know how to stop them. Copper is good for disease, but I think you need something different for mites.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is unusual for spider mites to start up in a wet rainy season. They tend to show up first when it has been hot and dry for a while. I have seen them this early before but only during extremely dry hot weather. I was worried the last few weeks because we were having very dry weather with really low humidity for the past month and I feared they would make an appearance but so far I haven't seen any. We did start having some daily rain three days ago and that should help a lot.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

European mites could be different. Bill, what do you do to combat them?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

When I have spider mite problems, I use a Flea and Tick Shampoo for dogs that has pyrethrum in it. This is an organic insecticide that is only effective while it is wet. I use a fine mist to spray the plants in the early morning or late afternoon. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off. I use 1 tablespoon shampoo to a quart of water. I spray every other day for three treatments with very good results.
Old May 20, 2018   #6
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much to all.
MissS very interesting about the shampoo for dogs, you mean you let it rest on the leaves and after 15 minutes you rinse all the leaves again to remove the shampoo?
Thank you
Nico

Nico.
Old May 20, 2018   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Abamectin is good for all mites, but I don't think it's organic. Pyrethrins are organic and work on Spider mites.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes Nico, that is precisely what I mean. I have found that too much soap residue on the leaves clogs the leaves pours and causes them to die. So best to rinse it off just to be safe.

P.S. - I love your avatar!
Old May 21, 2018   #9
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much Marsha as always!
Happy day

Nico.
Old May 21, 2018   #10
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

We had almost a month dry period prior to rain last week, so my garden was infested with small black flies and some green insects. I sprayed against fungus with my homemade spray. 20 grams of baking soda + 1 liter of milk + around 1 spoon of vegetable oil + 9 liters of water. As someone on TV suggested somewhere, some insects don't like lactose. I sprayed leaves and stems (most of insects was on stem) and their number diminish over night. I don't think they died, just left my plants and gone somewhere else.

You can try this, it wont hurt.
Old May 21, 2018   #11
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Good afternoon, I have also been recommended to prepare nettle purin:

Being a completely natural fertilizer, it is very beneficial for our plants. It is rich in micro-elements and minerals, such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, silicon .... In addition to containing a large amount of nitrogen, the main nutrient needed for growing plants, but also we will be contributing to our soil life that is the most important. We will see how our plants acquire an enviable green color, increase their vigor and seem to be healthier than ever.
We can use it as a repellent for mite pests, whitefly, red spider and aphids and to fight fungi such as mildew and powdery mildew. We will apply it in a foliar way, besides it is an excellent foliar fertilizer, that we hardly had in the blog any recipe about it.

The problem is that I do not know if it will be compatible with copper, since I am using cobrte in very small doses as a preventive

Nico.
Old May 21, 2018   #12
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

thanks javafxnoob

Nico.
Old May 21, 2018   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Good afternoon, I have also been recommended to prepare nettle purin:

Being a completely natural fertilizer, it is very beneficial for our plants. It is rich in micro-elements and minerals, such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, silicon .... In addition to containing a large amount of nitrogen, the main nutrient needed for growing plants, but also we will be contributing to our soil life that is the most important. We will see how our plants acquire an enviable green color, increase their vigor and seem to be healthier than ever.
We can use it as a repellent for mite pests, whitefly, red spider and aphids and to fight fungi such as mildew and powdery mildew. We will apply it in a foliar way, besides it is an excellent foliar fertilizer, that we hardly had in the blog any recipe about it.

The problem is that I do not know if it will be compatible with copper, since I am using cobrte in very small doses as a preventive
It should be ok for the plant if you spray it on a separate day from the copper. I would not mix the 2 together if I were you, until you try a very small amount on only 1 plant that you don't care about very much, to see how they do when mixed.
As far as safety on the plant, once the copper spray dries, it's safe to apply other things.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #14
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Perfect Angel Marsha !, very good explanation, I'm pretty clear.
Thank you

Nico.
Old May 21, 2018   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have used dog shampoo before and it is somewhat effective but if an infestation is bad it takes more than that to get them under control. I have found a mix of Permethrin, soapy water and food grade DE to be a superb mite killer. The only problem with it is it will kill the good with the bad insects. I only use it if the spider mites start in large numbers but it will bring them under control quickly. It is also very effective if you have a large infestation of aphids, stink bugs or leaf footed bugs. Since the Permethrin is what is used in most dog shampoos and has very low toxicity to mammals other than cats it is relatively safe. The DE dries on the plants in a fine white film that continues to kill the mites as they hatch out so it lessens the need for repeated sprays.

I have found that Neem is fairly effective for a very mild infestation as is just soapy water; but they must be used several times in quick succession otherwise the newly hatched mites will just continue to lay eggs and the population will explode. If it is really hot and it usually is when mites show up then I sometimes get some leaf damage from a Neem spray.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote