Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 6, 2007   #1
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default Elderberries

I planted two plants (Johns and Adams) three years ago. They are very healthy and about five feet tall, but I don't see any flowers.

Does anyone else grow them? I thought I might have a few berries this year, but I guess not. Maybe next year? Anything special I'm supposed to do?

I love to make homemade wine (actually won best in the state a few years ago) and can't wait to make elderberry wine.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #2
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Hi felpec,

I planted Johns, Adams, Nova and York this spring. I was told flowers would come next year. All I know is that they like moist soil, tolerate wet soil well and that I have had to water them well, or they will hang, even in a location that is not dry. I thought they were supposed to be taller than 5 feet, more like 7 feet. Good luck and fingers crossed that you will get lots of flowers and berries next year!

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #3
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Elderberries grow wild all over the Uk, millions of them all over the place, every year in early september we go and gather the berries to make wine and juice with, marvelous cold cure, also elderflower is also very good in decoctions.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2007   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Michael, I think the European elder is a different type than the American Elder. The types that felpec and I have are the Sambucus canadensis, and those are smaller than the European type, which I think is named Sambucus nigra.

Felpec, what growing conditions do you have for your elderberries? I checked mine yesterday and three of them have a flower developing. They grow in a soil mix of 50% compost and 50% garden soil, put on top of existing sod in an area where they don't get full sun. I try to water regularly, since I have discovered that they have been hanging if I don't do it. I got the plants from St. Lawrence Nurseries in zone 3, bare rooted this spring, I am in zone 5, close to zone 6.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #5
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Yea, I found flowers this morning (on one of them anyway). Maybe the last few rains we've had helped. They are in our woodland area, so they are on their own as far as water goes :-)
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote