Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem with Health Kick tomato

I do not have the facilities to grow plants from seed, so I rely on the local garden centers for small plants to start the season. For many years, I have bought a hybrid roma called Health Kick, from the nearby big box garden center. It is very hardy, grows like mad and has huge yield, perfect tomatoes for sauce. I have had problems with plants from this big box center in recent years, so I don't buy a lot from them any more. But I still buy the Health Kick.

Here is the problem... last year and so far this year, these plants don't grow very big and they start producing fruit within a few weeks of planting. The tomatoes don't get very big either. It's almost like they are a lot older plant than they appeared to be, but just didn't get enough water. That's just a theory, I have no idea if that is even possible. They sort of act like a mislabeled dwarf plant (they have done this before), but that doesn't explain why it's setting fruit in 2 weeks. Anyone have any better ideas?
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

This year I have tried many different Garden Dirt Products for my Red Robins which is the only Dwarf
Tomato Plants that I can grow in earth boxes or pots. As this is my year of crop rotation. I do not use any of your types of tomato, but I would check your dirt; for changes. Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Store-bought plants are often treated with growth inhibitors to stop them from looking lanky late in the season .
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
This year I have tried many different Garden Dirt Products for my Red Robins which is the only Dwarf
Tomato Plants that I can grow in earth boxes or pots. As this is my year of crop rotation. I do not use any of your types of tomato, but I would check your dirt; for changes. Amen!!
It's not the dirt. I replaced all my dirt this year with a new potting soil mix, to which I added some calcium and other nutrients. All other plants are doing outstanding with zero problems of any kind.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Labradors2 that your Health Kick problems this year could well be due to growth inhibitors. If the grower of the transplants applies too much of them or too late, it can cause stunting - possibly permanent. And of course, if the seedlings have been treated with growth inhibitors, even if done correctly, the seedlings could be much older than they appear to be when you purchase them. This could result in earlier than expected fruiting.

Collectively these chemicals are known as plant growth regulators (PGRs). They've been used for awhile on ornamental plants, but they've only been approved more recently in the US for certain vegetable seedlings. Sumagic (Uniconazole) was approved for tomato in 2009, and there are at least two others available now.

There has been some discussion on this board about them in the past, in connection with Bonnie Plants; see, for example: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44936 The first post in the thread sounds like the same problem you're having.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking growth inhibitors too. I don't think there's anything you can do about it other than stop buying plants from the big box store. Perhaps there is a local nursery where you can get plants. Maybe ask around now so you can be ready next spring.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Growth inhibitors sounds about right. This big box garden center used to have great plants and not just tomatoes. They have gotten progressively worse every year. I think I am done with them after this year. Thanks everyone!