Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 11, 2017   #1
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about Bonnie Plants

After I planted my heirloom seedlings, I had some extra space. I decided to plant a few determinates in the extra space. The feed store had some Bonnie Celebrities. I planted them and they almost immediately set fruit. Now the plants are about 2 feet tall I have two huge clusters about 2 inches off the ground and I only see one other cluster started.
Is Bonnie treating their plants with something to hasten fruiting. All the seedlings I started have evenly set fruit.

Last edited by Togo77; May 11, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If they are treated with anything, it would be a growth-regulating hormone, which slows their growth, so that the potted plant has a longer shelf life as a saleable product. You may have gotten a plant that was older than it looked, because of being treated with a hormone like that. Bonnie contracts out a lot of their growing, so I don't think there is any way to tell for sure. I have seen it be obvious on the larger plants sold in larger containers, but not always on the smaller ones.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #3
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

I think Cole_Robbie is spot on with being treated with growth inhibitors. I have never had that experience with Bonnie plants, but have not used them in the last 3 years.

I have a similar thing happen to some pepper plants that were grown by RBGI in St. Elmo, IL. They started flowing about a week after plant out and now have peppers but plants are only about 6-8 inches tall. I'm pretty sure mine were treated with growth inhibitors.

Bob
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #4
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

I think y'all are right. I had a pepper last year that was almost as big as the plant.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago i bought a 'patio' Bonnie. BigBoxStore magnet that suckered me in....
I wanted to test some sun i have in my driveway for a few containers. Containers i can slide and
move a bit as the sun moves through the season. Fortunately i also potted some of my insurance
extras i had from seed. The Bonnie grew gorgeous but no fruit. My starts thrived and gave a full
season of SunGold and other cherries...

It was a full thick stemmed plant. Mine were lanky but pumped out fruit through Sept-October.

Had i just tested the Bonnie i may have decided this 'bacon strip' of sun was a no go for toms.

I now have 10 containers for snackers in that spot. Nice to pull up after commuter traffic and have
a boat load of toms every day all Summer.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #6
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I just planted a Bonnie Patio today. Good looking plant, we'll see how it goes.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #7
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I have had good luck with the Bonnie plants I have planted in the past. I haven't begun starting my plants from seed. I buy the little 4 packs for $1.29 and nurture them until planting time. But I only grow around 20 tomato plants.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #8
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

I have had mostly good luck with Bonnie plants. They helped me grow stuff while I got my container garden system together. I've had really good luck with their standard hybrids, like all the "Big" and "Betters". But also Husky Cherry Red and Sungold. Never had a problem with one of their pepper plants.

I'm going to start plants from seed for the first time next year, but I still might buy a couple Bonnie's.
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The only tomato plant (out of about 60) is a Juliet. It is no different from my other plants.
They might feed them something while in the greenhouse to keep them stocky. But once you plant them out they will be normal. That is my experience. Every year I just buy one or two Bonnie plants.
On the other hand I don't like their business practice. They have cornered the seedling/plants market and they seem to have no competition. They sell a tomato seedling for $4 ( tax added ).

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #10
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I've bought some Bonnie plants that didn't grow at all... too much growth inhibitors...
Peppers more than tomatoes.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I won't grow Bonnie Plants because of the growth regulating hormones and they cost too much. I like planting from seed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #12
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

I don't understand the growth inhibitors in Bonnie plants that many tville members write about as that has not been my experience. It must be a regional thing. I've always had good luck with them in the past. Here is a picture of my 2015 Bonnie tomatoes before I started to grow from seed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170511-194034.jpg (312.6 KB, 76 views)
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #13
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
I don't understand the growth inhibitors in Bonnie plants that many tville members write about as that has not been my experience. It must be a regional thing. I've always had good luck with them in the past
Not my experience either. But then. I've only grown their herbs here in TX. Break up that $3.49 pot and you've got 3-5 plants. Not expensive.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have only noticed the hormone treatment on the largest plants. Has anyone bought a $15 plant in a gallon pot and had it get huge?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant afford the high prices on any of the plants.
I get mine from HEB and local nurseries.
The ones I have bought didn't seem to have a problem just too high.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote