Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 24, 2009   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Captain, there be babies there!!!

That's right Scotty, that's what we expected!!!!!

Aye, Captain!!!

Each season, we put those precious little dots into the growing mediums and then wait, like expectant parents, for the little heads to break thru and announce the arrival of the next generation of plants. We spend hours planning and more hours asking anyone with an opinion what they do and try to find a way of getting just one more percentage point of germination.

Two days ago, I started my first tray of the season and used the knowledge gained by reading Craig, Ami, Carolyn, Dice, Dar, John, Robin, Kat, Tania, Andrey, Ray, Bill, and about 30 others to set up that tray. How wonderful that we have the tools to help each other from afar.

This afternoon, I went in and double checked, and there are about 2 dozen little heads trying to stand up. I'm am forever amazed that those little seeds can produce a living entity that can feed us and entertain us and cause us such concern and focus. They are truly like our children, given to our care for this year to see what they can become.

Yes, there be babies in there and I'm still in that beautiful moment of wonder. What a wonderful thing we are allowed to do.

"Beam me up Mr. Scott"

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Way to go Ted!! Do any look like you? You know sometimes there is a question about the parents Now if we can just make it to grandparent stage!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #3
decius
Tomatovillian™

I know what you mean. I started my seeds today, and when I walk by the containers I can't help but look to see if anything has come up yet - which is asking a bit much since it has only been a few hours since they were planted. But still I look!

Elizabeth
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

As of this writing, there are none that have their heads fully up. Merely bent green threads with the promise of things to come.

I don't think any look like me, Kat. At least, I hope not. They're too "purty". I'm just an old crusty wrinkled thing.

I have to comment that the seed I received from Andrey was the first up. His super-dwarfs are very vigorous little things. Also, for Sue, the "Outdoor Girl" seeds you sent that were dated from 2000 are also up early and trying to get a foothold. Carolyn, your older ones are also showing. You ladies must store seeds correctly.

This is just "SUPER". All of my senior neighbors will have plants this year. I have the containers and now the plants are starting to show up. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful it feels to see this miracle of seed to plant. It has always fascinated me and will always be the major highlite of the growing year for me.

Y'all take care now, y'hear!!

Totally Blissfilled Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 26, 2009   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, the cover came off just now and it's time for their first outing and introduction to the public.

Ladies and Gentelmen, let me introduce the Class of 2009 (at least most of it). Let's hope their parents will be proud of their accomplishments.

I just hope I can get them thru puberty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009babies.JPG (82.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2009babies2.JPG (71.8 KB, 46 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old February 26, 2009   #6
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

3am feedings of kelp emulsion, gotta love it.
Old February 26, 2009   #7
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Dem dar maters will enjoy that early morning feeding of Kelp. Do they get that once a month or twice a month?

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #8
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

May they go forth and be fruitful......
They are just beautiful
Old February 27, 2009   #9
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

The plants look great, I see you plant 1-2 seeds per cell, and I assume this works best for you. My first experience of planting seeds was dense planting, so far so good. I may try a little of both ways to plant next season.
Good job,
Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2009   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to y'all.

Neva, actually, I plant about 4 seeds per cell. Looking for one or two of the most vigorous seedlings. This morning, counting little green heads versus total seeds gives me an overall germination percentage of 92%. This includes seeds from 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, and 2000. I wouldn't be saying that if I didn't "borrow" techniques from the folks on this website.

Probably the main thing I am doing came from Craig. His method of placing the seed and then "just barely" covering them works beautifully. And using warm water that has outgassed the chlorine is, I think, very important.

Mojo, George, and Barbee - I REALLY DO find myself checking on them like a newborn. And, yes, the feedings at all hours and then worrying about their diet and whether or not they have good friends and can I afford college and ahh .......... Hey, I'm alright!!!!!!!!!

Now, to coax some peppers up. They're in the second tray. This is stressful.

Y'all take care

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch