Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 29, 2009   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Survived the blizzard!

Well...my first true test of my greenhouse passed last night! The past couple of years and this year as well, the old weather hit when I had just a few plants in there so I just toted them in the house instead of heating the greenhouse. Well...as you can tell, I have a "few" too many to carry in the house right now. I probably over-did it a bit with two electric and a propane heater running, but it stayed a balmy 60+ degrees despite temps in the low 20's and 5+ inches of heavy, wet snow. I'm ready to kick Winter to the curb!

Tomatoes were all transplanted within the past week. Peppers (some on the left, the rest on the right out of the frame) are two weeks after potting up, the Thai eggplant (upper right with yellow markers) are 2 weeks old as well. The seedlings are out of the frame on the top shelf of the potting table...about 1,000 to go!

Old March 29, 2009   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Glad your plants made it! I will check outside in a few moments to see if mine did
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

We did not get snow but it was 5 below zero AT THE END OF MARCH!!! I ran the propane heater and lit the wood stove in my green house and managed to keep it about 58.
Craziest winter we have ever had here. Was 73 degrees about 4 days ago and I had to run the fan in my greenhouse! Mother Nature is on my "poo" list this year. By the way, your seedlings look fantastic and I am happy to se that I am not the only one who uses sawhorses...Alway "too many tomatoes and too little space"!
Old March 29, 2009   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we will have lots of good tomatoes and peppers to sample at the Midwest Fest. We caught the tail end of the blizzard with only an inch of the white stuff. The sun is shining today with another blizzard forecast for Monday. Really neat greenhouse; just wish I could have one.
Old March 29, 2009   #5
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

This weather is crazy. Glad you were able to keep a happy little micro-climate for your plants. One of my sons was supposed to have a couple of soccer games played in KC today....obviously cancelled. One of my other sons had a soccer tournament near St. Louis.....left friday, coming home today, and not one game was played. Hopefully, this was the last hurrah of winter.
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote