Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 27, 2009   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Affordable Germination Heat Mats

I wanted to let everyone know that there is a seller on EBay offering germination heat mats for $27.00, which is very affordable price. Most of you already know how difficult it can be to germinate peppers in particular without bottom heat. I bought ten from him last year and just bought 10 more. I am very pleased with them . Those new to seed starting will be surprised at the improved germination of all seed types. This is a terrific price with mats normally bringing $50.00 or more apiece.

SEED STARTING HEAT MATS
Old December 27, 2009   #2
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I bought two Sunbeam King Size Moist/Dry Heating Pads last year on eBay for $11.99 each (about $18 each with shipping) These are 12' x 24', have three heat levels, and easily fit a standard seed tray. Looks like they are now running $15-20.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar, good to see you posting again. Someone on another forum had said you moved to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

what also works is putting the seed starting tray over the top of an in floor heating vent. i put some books under each end to support the tray so the rest of the room had heat. what worked very well for me was the old radiators we had at our house in calumet. peppers just had to sprout on top of those things.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Brokenbar, good to see you posting again. Someone on another forum had said you moved to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Ted
Hey Ted! Yes, it was a hectic year trying to remodel the house down there and going back and forth between Wyoming and Mexico. I did not get to garden but my son did it all in Wyoming this year. We are back in Wyoming for the winter and turning everything over to him and will go back to Mexico in May for good. (getting him through his first calving season on his own!) I plan on havig a HUGE garden in Merida. I have been collecting Tomato and Pepper seeds down there and will have some unusual varieties. This past year was the first year in my entire life I did not have a garden. My Son's effort in Wyoming gave him nearly 300 lbs of dried tomatoes and he also dried and smoked lots of peppers. The Chef's in Cody WY and Billings bought all he had.

He said it was a lousy and cool and wet spring so melons and pumpkins did not do as well. We were in Wyoming in Spetember and left to go to Egypt(!!!) and the garden was really just turing on and everything was ripening all at once.

I am glad to be back. Miss yacking about tomatoes and gardening. With the way the world is, it's a good stress reliever!
Old December 28, 2009   #6
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

broken A try Neeps as you get one twice as wide and 3 times longet for $57 Hydrofarm Mat Seedling Heat 48X20
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote