Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 31, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default You know it's bad WHEN

You have to shovel snow off the top of your greenhouse or in my case the plural. Shoveled yesterday morning for an hour and did the same routine today for 2 hours including the roofs of both my greenhouses. We are getting payed back for all the mild winters we had in the past. Bought 125 Kg of salt yesterday (275lbs) and hope that lasts for awhile. Both Thursday and Friday coming home after work there was my wife's car at the bottom of the hill on the street we live on because their was ice and she couldn't make it up. Here's a couple pics from yesterday. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1385.JPG (212.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1387.JPG (132.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1389.JPG (179.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1394.JPG (136.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1401.JPG (115.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1404.JPG (97.9 KB, 36 views)
Old January 31, 2010   #2
Flame of Bodensee
Tomatovillian™

nice pics ami, today we have similar looking through the windows, but it's not really cold perhabs it starts thawing. well the last couple of years we had not much snow, this year seems to be breaking little records. the worst place is now in the north of germany, seen some terrible pics in the news too.
well the salt sellers get there money now quick, but is it really good for the environment.
Old January 31, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Flame, salt isn't the best and I use split (crushed rock) when possible. Here are a couple pictures of the front of my house and the driveway up to the carport. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1275.jpg (175.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1276.jpg (168.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1278.jpg (147.4 KB, 51 views)
Old January 31, 2010   #4
svalli
Tomatovillian™

It seems that this year we have a real winter all around Europe. People in Finland are talking about this snow and cold being something unusual, but this is like I remeber my chilhood winters were. So far we have not had any really bad snow storms, but since mid December the snow has been accumulating and the layer is getting thick. I do not have yet a GH to shovel, but I'm wondering how much snow our roof can take. Luckily it has been so cold that the snow has been light and fluffy. There can still be at least two months before any melting and just more snow, so it may take till May before all of this snow is gone.

We do not have such a beatiful scnery like by Ami, but the white blanket on ground and frosted trees makes everytnig look pretty.

It is snowing lightly right now and more is predicted for Tuesday, when DH will be in Munich and I do not dare to drive the tractor on our steep driveway - I'll be shoveling everything by hand then.
Old January 31, 2010   #5
Marko
Tomatovillian™

This winter is really bad, we have 50 cm/20 in of snow. grrrr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zima 004.jpg (73.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Zima 010.jpg (112.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Marko; January 31, 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: pictures added
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

not so much snow this year in michigans thumb. a flip flop from last year when the snow came early, and piled up a bit. i haven't had the plow on the truck yet. up in the U.P. its a typical winter. the keweenaw usually has 150 inches by january, and any where between 200 and 300 inches for the year. a snow paradise for those who like to play in it. can't say i miss it.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #7
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

We use sand here. The salt runoff injures some of the plants near pavement.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #8
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures, a nice place to visit but I will stick with Texas heat I'm cold just looking at the snow.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #9
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I did see a few flurries a couple of days. It has been very cold here. Lost my lemon and orange tree I even had to bring out the leather coat a few times. Had to locate my gloves. Now I just want it all gone! Ami I was thinking I would love to have a sled and take a treck down that hill! My luck I would crash into a house and break my neck though.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote