Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 17, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Found the Glamos Heavy Duty Tomato Cages Today

For those in the Bay Area looking for the 4-leg heavy duty Glamos tomato cages recommended for EarthTainer construction, I found them today at Scarborough Nursery in Scotts Valley, about a 30 minute drive from San Jose on Rt 17 heading toward Santa Cruz.

Price is a reasonable $8.50 per cage. They have several sizes on hand, so make sure you get the 18" diameter by 54" tall model shown in the above barcode.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Wonder if they sell them out here on the east coast? I'm tired of handling CRW and stringing aluminum wire. Time to do some Internet sleuthing!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Mischka,

While Walmart stopped carrying them last year, they can be found at "specialty" type Nurseries. I would recommend you contact Glamos (somewhere in Texas, I believe) to see which local Nursery carries them. They are excellent cages, and I still do not understand why Walmart dropped them. I'll bet it was a pricing "squeeze", or something similar.

Raybo
Old March 18, 2010   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ray, is this the same Glamos?

http://www.glamoswire.com/lawn_and_g..._supports.html
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Suze,

Yes, this is the right Company. Here is the link to the 3/16" round cages.

http://www.glamoswire.com/lawn_and_g...ed_series.html

They make their products in the U.S.A. so we should try to support them. Phone number is in the link, so you folks can call them direct to find a local Retailer.

Raybo
Old March 18, 2010   #6
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

This company is in the Hugo MN not to far from me. The past few years when I have had to add more cages I have been able to find them at Home Depot or the local ace/true value stores but since they are a Minnesota company that might be why they are easier to find here.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #7
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Raybo
What is the difference bewtween 3/16 " and 6 1/2 guage?
I was looking for heavy guage 54" round but can't find down here in Orange County
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dennis,

I personally don't know the formula for converting diameter in inches, to gauge. Maybe someone who is Mechanically versed can answer your question.

Do you have an Orchard Supply in your area of S. Calif? They reportedly, have heavy duty 4-leg cages. If not, a Saturday drive up Route 1 through Big Sur, to Scotts Valley to Scarborough Nursery is a trip I would happily make.

Raybo
Old March 19, 2010   #9
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I think that may be where I saw them but $12.99 ea down here - it would be a long drive for me to come up there from Orange County - may check on line and see what shipping charges are - I have almost 50 Texas tomato chages and I also have metal tree stakes green 6 or 7 ft tall that I can tie to or do florida weave etc - I have 12 of the Texas cages at my place and the rest at the community gardens I have 2 16X16' plots and can put 50+ plants on each plot so need to get probably 25 cages
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2010   #10
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

I literally "stumbled" into the Glamos 18" X 54" heavy duty cages today. I found them about 3 miles from my house at a Marvin's Building Supply store that has a nursery. The price was an unbelievable $4.99 plus tax per cage. I kept expecting someone to run after me yelling "Stop Thief" as I left with two dozen of them. After better than 3 hours I still have them and the authorities haven't come to the house yet to arrest me for theft.

Need to finish my project now.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2010   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Paul,

Wow!! You got an excellent deal. Even when Walmart carried them, I believed they ran about $5.90. If the darn shipping charges were not so much, you could make some extra coin buying them at that price, then adding a 50% markup, and many folks would be quite happy to get the genuine article.

Raybo
Old April 6, 2010   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This should answer all of your questions

Worth
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CA4QFjAB&url= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seoconsultants.com%2Fcharts%2Finc hes-decimal%2Fprint&ei=Zs-6S_WlOMb_lgfXuL3qBw&usg=AFQjCNGR-d0gFGLwN0mKzb2nDU79hCOpyw&sig2=D5YNUwdSHfPiMJ5wPp8 JCw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Gu6kvGrxIHQM9g

Last edited by Worth1; April 6, 2010 at 02:26 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2010   #13
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

I really wanted to spend about 3-400 bucks on texas tomato cages. That was before I spent over 7k to fix a vehicle that's barely worth that. It's taken a ton of time, and still isn't done. The fact that I'm moving soon also stopped me. I'll use my bamboo from last year. Housing will probably rip out my garden when I leave, and it might be mid season.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote