Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 19, 2006   #12
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Some of the best plants I have seen- were grown by a chap not too far from where I live, what he did was this- he didnt like the standard flat growbags usualy available over here in the Uk, as they are only about three inches thick and not deep enough for tomato growing, so he went out and bought the cheapest he could find -bags of 125 litre multipurpose compost ( 4 ) of them, laid them flat on his concrete patio- and then cut three oblong holes in each bag about 8" x 10" in size- into each of these holes he planted one plant-the holes were spaced equaly apart along the length of the bag, one in the centre and the other two about 6" inches from either end of the bag.

He had one of the best crops of toms I have ever seen, he fed them all season long with liquid seaweed fertiliser mix, and a little dry granulated (fish/blood/& bone fertiliser watered in, the bags retained a high water content and didnt dry out too quick.

A realy good crop alround, the plants were supported by canes tied in a wigwam fashion tripod.

Using these 125 Litre bags gave him a compost depth of between 6" to 8" inches and seemed ideal in all respects.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote