Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 30, 2011   #1
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Default Heating of the mix for season extension

Has anyone tried heating the mix. Cables or thermostatically controlled aquarium heaters or even outdoor cable lighting to heat the mix in the winter for green and root crops or early start in the early spring? No more worrying about if it's time to plant or not. The heck with Mother Nature, I'm planting Maters. Seems do-able. Over on the dark side at the Earthbox forum, donald1800 has a complete start to finish project and parts list for soil heating cables for EBs or SIPs. Too scary for me. I want something I can just lay in the pmix and pull it in and work.

Very interested, maybe I'll clean out the freezer, which is a chest type, and put an earthbox in it and run some trials on core temperature.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

cushman,

Check out the link on my heated IncuTainers:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=incutainer

I used an aquarium heater in the water reservoir to keep the water temp at about 70 degrees in the early Spring. That Season, it really helped the seedlings develop weeks earlier. I understand you want to prolong your Season, but I think frost will knock off the tomatoes on the vine first.

If you are looking to get an earlier start in your area, the aquarium heater may be something you want to try in your containers.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #3
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Yes.

I am currently using Ray's aquarium heater idea in two containers. For a third, I put a germination mat underneath. I also put a piece of construction foam under each container and a 12 inch section of water heater wrap around each container.

Of course as soon as everything was set up, the weather warmed up!

I turned off the heat mat today as the media was near 80 degrees. (note: the heat mat draws 17 watts continuous). I may try a timer with the mat.

The media in the containers with aquarium heaters (40 watts each) are holding steady at 70 degrees. When it was in the 50's, they were drawing about 1000 watt hours per 24 hour period (both heaters).

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #4
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Anyone try these rope lights for heating of potting mix?http://www.gardengrapevine.com/BottomHeater.html
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote