Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 3, 2011   #16
akeimou

i'm trying out the actinovate-biotamax-mycogrow (ABM) this year and so had to look for fertilizer with P no more than 4. found this one at Rona
http://ronaeco.ca/en/rona-eco/8/32/20095055/. a lot less money than the fertilizer i'm supposed to use in the water reservoir of the SWC i'm using.

ingredients: crustacean meal, natural potash sulfate

analysis:
5% total nitrogen (N)
3% water insoluble nitrogen (WIN)
2% available phosphoric acid (P2O5)
2% total phosphoric acid
8% soluble potash (K20)
9% total calcium (Ca)
0.5% total magnesium (Mg)

anything above that should be of concern?

opening the greenhouse door greets one with a rush of powerful efluvium! :-]

the tomato plants look happy enough.

although i'm not sure if that's due to the fertilizer, the ABM, worm castings, kelp meal, filtered water, or...

going gangbusters on amendments in hopes to improve the taste---last year was a bumper crop year but mostly spitters.

--meg

Last edited by akeimou; June 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added photo
Old June 4, 2011   #17
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Meg,
You plants look fabulous.
I am trying a few different fertilizer trials this year- Myke's tomato food, Greenearth's tomato food, and Fothergill's Organic advantage- all of my containers also contain worm castings and kelp meal.
Hopefully, Environment Canada is correct in their 'warmer than average' summer forecast for us as this will also improve the flavour from last year's horrendous year.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #18
akeimou

thanks, Jeff. i'm looking forward to your fertilizer trials results.

well, back to rain today. these long stretches of cold and wet with maybe a day or two of warm and sun in between (like yesterday) seem to have become the norm. i hope it becomes the other way around soon.

hi, Quickstrike, this is probably too late but i get fines at ornamentalstone.ca.

--meg

Last edited by akeimou; June 11, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old June 11, 2011   #19
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

My plants are starting to kick in after a week in the earthtainers, just wishing for some sun to help them along.
I will try and post some photos on Sunday of my progress.
Old June 11, 2011   #20
Quickstrike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeimou View Post
hi, Quickstrike, this is probably too late but i get fines at ornamentalstone.ca.
--meg
Thanks for the tip!

I ended up buying a full truckload of Montane Mulch from Burnco last year. Still have several garbage bags of it left.

It looks like OrnamentalStone and Burnco sell the same 'Montane Mulch' - next time I need it, I will have to compare prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
My plants are starting to kick in after a week in the earthtainers, just wishing for some sun to help them along.
I will try and post some photos on Sunday of my progress.
Are you using the new [3.x] Earthtainer design with the Rectangular cages?
Even though disassembly/reassembly can be a pain, I will continue to use v2.0 for this season.

With all this rain, are you protecting your tomatoes with some form of cover?
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #21
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Almost all of my tomatoes are in my greenhouses; outdoors they are up against the house so they are somewhat protected. However, they are not really doing that much because of the wet weather.
I don't use cages on my earthtainers as I string them up in the greenhouse and stake them outside.
Jeff who is looking forward to a sunny Sunday!!!
Old June 19, 2011   #22
akeimou

just too many cold and rainy days. i've been removing moldy leaves on a few tomato plants the past two days now. :-[

i'm gonna try and spray biota max and actinovate on the leaves. should i spray the entire plants or should i be avoiding the fruits?

thanks,

--meg