Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 2, 2011   #1
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Default contaminated compost?

I know somewhere in the past there was a thread about compost and manure from hay that was fed to animals that was contaminated. This caused all the plants to die and the soil had to be taken out and replaced. Is this still a problem or has it been eliminated? I am building new raised beds for next year and have two sources for cattle manure and straw compost. If anyone remembers this thread and can post a link, then I will know the right questions to ask the manure sources. I really dont want to start out new beds with contaminated soil compost.
thanks for any guidance

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2011   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Ron,

I remember Stormymater had an informative thread about her experience with herbicide contamination, but I can't find the thread - you might PM her (or maybe she will see this)

I would test any compost before using it on a large scale. Here is a .pdf that explains quite a bit, including how to test for herbicide residue:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/pro..._carryover.pdf

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2011   #3
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

This link was posted here somewhere, it gives a list of the common brand names to look out for. Most people that sell manure compost have no clue that it could be contaminated. I will never use manure compost unless I fed the animals myself or it was bagged from a reputable company. Last spring was a disaster for me thanks to the generous portions of compost i tilled into my beds (now called Area 51). I have started building new beds and using chicken manure for now. Good Luck

http://www.the-compost-gardener.com/picloram.html
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2011   #4
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Steve and Mysidx

This is what I am looking for. I will test the composted manure for the herbicides as per the described tests. Fairly simple test to help insure quality compost and peace of mind for me.

Thanks again
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2011   #5
troad
Tomatovillian™

Ron.

Check out this post from May 16, 2010. I think it it the one you are looking for:

New growth curls

Old October 4, 2011   #6
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by troad View Post
Ron.

Check out this post from May 16, 2010. I think it it the one you are looking for:

New growth curls

parsed link: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14502

Thanks troad - that's the thread I was remembering - Stormymater's experience is a valuable read.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011   #7
JoParrott

Default my experience with contaminated compost

In 2010 I had a terrible time with nearly all my tomatoes, peppers and beans having grotesquely deformed growth. I know there had been no drift, so I started investigating online, and after taking samples to the extension service, I am convinced it was compost contamination. This year, 2011, I haven't seen the problem. Evidently it has dispersed to a safe level- it is a real scary thing-
Old November 7, 2011   #8
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

Any extension office can run tests on manure to check for the presence of aminopyralid?
Too Tall Toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2011   #9
JoParrott

My extension office didn't have a clue what my problem was, even after I took many samples to have them look at.
Old November 7, 2011   #10
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

I was just wondering because I got about 30 gallons of horse manure and put it in my compost bin. THEN I hear about this aminopyralid business and I got all worried that I contaminated my compost.
The woman I got it from says that she feeds her horses timothy alfalfa hay and grain. Her father used the manure in the past for his tomato garden and has great success.
Old November 7, 2011   #11
JoParrott

Have you read how to test ? There is info somewhere that tells you how to set up test pots and sow bean seeds, then compare ( Ithink beans are about the most sensitive to the contamination) I did it and it was very definitive.
Old November 7, 2011   #12
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

I will have to reread that article.

I probably have nothing to worry about but I would still like to be sure.
Old November 8, 2011   #13
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

Well the woman I got the horse manure tells me that her father used it in his tomato garden and has never had any problems with herbicide "poisoning" of his plants.

So....at least I feel somewhat better.
Old November 8, 2011   #14
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

I read an article on how to test for the presence of aminopyralid in manure but the manure has to be aged. I just got the horse manure over the weekend so it's not really aged properly. Any idea if the test can still be done on "fresh" manure?