Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2012   #1
BruceP
Tomatovillian™

Default Searching for info on International Tomato

I'm new to the group. this might not be the right place to post.
In the early fifties my father helped develop a tomato with the assistance of the Bolgiano Seed company of Washington and Baltimore. He saved the seed each year until he was pretty old. However, there was a group that raised the plants for sale at a D.C. garden center. He would get plants from them each year. Then one year he went back and was told they had dropped that variety. No one in my family has been able to find seeds since.
They were called American International Cross. Most people referred to them as Internationals. They were an indeterminate, red tomato. By today’s standards they would be called small to medium in size. He staked them to six feet, but they would grow taller and bend over. They were noted for there very small seed pockets and a great, old fashioned tomato taste. I would love to find some seed.

It was in the late 70’s or early 80’s that my father could no longer get plants. I don’t know if the seed were ever listed in a commercial catalog, as my father had always kept his own. I did see on a web site this quote, “Several heirloom tomato varieties grown today are descended from Bolgiano stock including: Greater Baltimore, John Baer, and IXL Extremely Early.” By description, Greater Baltimore and John Baer might have been in the parentage of the International.
BruceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bruce, when I Googe it I see only two references to that variety, and both by you, one at I forget the name of the site and one at the GW seed exchange where someone referred you to me and suggested that you put your post not in the Seed Exchange, but the Tomato Forum proper.

Perhaps someone else at the Tomato Forum at GW would have some information, and perhaps someone here at Tville might as well, but all I can say is that I don't. Sorry.

I didn't do an advanced Google search and didn't go beyond page 1 b'c after the two links to you the links were referring to the Red Cross. Sigh.
Old April 1, 2012   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If your father is still alive is there any chance that there is any seed in a drawer or something?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote