Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 16, 2012   #1
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden thermometer - La Crosse

I often feel I don't get much for my money these days. So, it is nice when you come across a product that you can recommend for others to consider.

Last fall I wanted a way to monitor the temps in the garden and low tunnel we were tending. I ended up taking a chance on a 3 channel min max wireless thermometer from La Crosse. For around $25 I had my doubts. To my surprise it has worked well. I can monitor garden temps, both air and soil, from inside the house for current condition and recorded minimums and maximums. I do have to keep the receiver near a window with line of site to my garden about 120 feet away. Also, I did make sure I mounted the remote unit with a bit of shelter from the rain.

If you have such a need and don't want to spend a lot I would recommend you take a look at it. It's the La Crosse Technology WS-9029U . I don't remember just were I ordered mine but here is a link to one through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tech...4621164&sr=8-1

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I bought one also and agree with you completely. The only difference is I bought the WS-9029U-IT. It has a 10' probe on the remote where the WS-9029U has a 6' probe. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Ha, I knew I would find some advice about thermometers here!

Question: is there such a thing as an outdoor thermometer that would wirelessly send temps and alerts to, say, my cell phone?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Just choose your model. Claud

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/alerts/
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012   #5
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
Just choose your model. Claud

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/alerts/
Great, thanks, Claud! I missed that when I gave the site a browse. About $30+ more than I guessed, but I'll ponder it. Of course, the cheaper localized remote thermometer would allow me to keep an eye on the temp from the comfort of my living room or bedroom, which is where I'll be the few times the temp dips below freezing here. Does anyone have one of these high tech alert models?
Old January 24, 2013   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You can get a whole wireless weather station that sends data to your computer, then broadcasts the data, along with station ID and location to a web page so anyone can see it. Then you can view it on your mobile device from your easy chair without having to get up and look at your computer.
You might also want to set up a wireless webcam in your garden so you can keep track of things visually. I suppose you could even turn on your irrigation system remotely if you see your tomatoes begin to wilt.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
You can get a whole wireless weather station that sends data to your computer, then broadcasts the data, along with station ID and location to a web page so anyone can see it. Then you can view it on your mobile device from your easy chair without having to get up and look at your computer.
You might also want to set up a wireless webcam in your garden so you can keep track of things visually. I suppose you could even turn on your irrigation system remotely if you see your tomatoes begin to wilt.
Wow, arm chair gardening, it sure has come a very long way hasn't it, lol. I might have to check into one of the wireless systems for myself since I could set it up in the bedroom and have a direct line of sight to the garden from there. We have had many a cold night that was not predicted here and I lost some maters in an unexpected freeze. I think I might have my very own little micro climate here and now when I hear 40 degrees for our area, I cover.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #8
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

That is kinda funny. Remote gardening. I do like having the outdoor temperature on my night-stand via the LaCrosse, though I think some nights it has made me worry more than necessary. I've covered when it's in the high forties now that I'm a bit paranoid about the frost. Still wondering whether I'm ever going to get anything out of the three zucchini. I seem to see only male flowers. Starting a few cucumbers from seed, though that is at least re-leafing a bit after looking pretty puny. Next ones will not go in-ground; might have to make a small raised bed just for the cukes.