Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2013   #1
rweakley
Tomatovillian™

Default Freezing weather

Hello all. I planted out my tomatoes a bit early this year. Last year worked out for me because of an early spring here in NW Florida. Well we had a freeze last night, and another expected tonight as well as a few cold nights last week.

So far I've been able to keep them alive. I covered them with a large tarp and placed several jugs of hot water in with them in hopes of radiating heat inside the tarp. I also watered them with lukewarm water to try to keep the soil temp up a bit.

However, they have not been growing. I have all my leftovers (I plant from seed, thrice what I need) planted up in 1/2 gallon containers still indoors under lights and are all extremely healthy and growing tall.

My question is, should I just pull up the ones that have been out in the cold and replace them with my extras once it warms up, or should I just keep them alive for the next couple nights until it warms up? I'm fairly confident that spring will be here in the next few days based on the weather outlook and our average last frost range of Mar 21 - 31.

I'm a second year gardener, so I'm still learning. Not sure if they will spring into growth once it warms up or if they are going to be stunted due to the cold. They do look healthy aside from the fact that they aren't growing.
rweakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Just one more cold night and then we are home free. I hope. I'm near JAX and also was surprised by last nights frost. I wouldn't pull them unless they are seriously damaged. Others might disagree. Once the soil warms up (by this weekend I hope), they should start taking off.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

It's kind of crazy, isn't it? This was my first year gardening, and I planted seeds in October, so I've dodged several frosts and a few have done a little damage. But, all things considered, it seems the plants do catch up just fine, even if they are a bit slower when it's cold. If you don't actually see damage (wilted leaves, etc. from frost) they may just be a little slower I would think. Even with damage, I cut off the damage (with one bell pepper it was down to a bare stem for a month or two, and it's returned and is bearing fruit, albeit it tiny bells.) My poor pastes in the raised bed got frost uncovered, frost somehow through a cover, and then a little breakage/damage from Sunday/s wind-hail storm, but they keep coming back.

Pictured: a few Chocolate Cherry, Lollipop yellow, Mexico Midget in the bowl, and the first sliced Big Ray's Argentina Paste. Note the big crack in the top, nevertheless I cut around it and it was tasty in a sandwich with some feta and kalamata tapenade. Hefty size too, so I can't wait to have enough to cook a sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maters.jpg (266.0 KB, 41 views)
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #4
rweakley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I will leave them and cover them and see how they do. Just heard from a buddy that my squadron does a community garden, so I can donate the plants I don't need. Was also thinking about starting a tom garden at the church, but waiting on Lowe's to respond to my request for materials.

I am growing Cherokee purples, Amish paste, brown berries (which look almost identical to those choc cherries), and some yellow variety that I'm not sure of. I saved the latter seeds from an heirloom tomato salad I got for lunch at Sea World!

In any case my extras are fine and recently potted up if worse comes to worse.
Old March 28, 2013   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
Not sure if they will spring into growth once it warms up or if they are going to be stunted due to the cold. They do look healthy aside from the fact that they aren't growing.
As long as they look healthy you'll be fine. Actually they are growing. Although the spares might now be bigger and more lush inside, the ones in the ground are hardened off and actively sending out roots underground. Unless there is cold damage to the growing tip, which is where the fresh young growth comes out of the middle of the plant, you shouldn't have to replace any of your plants.
Old March 28, 2013   #6
rweakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
As long as they look healthy you'll be fine. Actually they are growing. Although the spares might now be bigger and more lush inside, the ones in the ground are hardened off and actively sending out roots underground. Unless there is cold damage to the growing tip, which is where the fresh young growth comes out of the middle of the plant, you shouldn't have to replace any of your plants.
Awesome! Thanks for the knowledge. Tonights low is in the lower 40s and I think I'll be home free after that
Old March 28, 2013   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm just guessing but I would think that being put out too early would be more detrimental to a determinate variety. Your varieties look to be indeterminate, which would have more patience in regard to waiting out bad weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2013   #8
rweakley
Tomatovillian™

It's becoming very difficult to restrict myself from digging up the ones in the ground and putting in the lush healthy looking ones still in their containers. I've been hardening those off on my porch, which only gets evening direct sun.

The ones in the ground just don't seem as healthy. Their leaves aren't as bright or as big, and some seem a little dark around the edges. I sprayed them at planting and again about 10 days later with a liquid copper. I think the ones in the containers are still fine for their root systems. So I will give the ones in the ground another week or so and see how they do. I really hope they spring back fully. Especially my yellow ones, because I only had 4 seeds of those. I may buy another 5 gallon bucket to plant one in, just as insurance.
Old April 1, 2013   #9
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It's becoming very difficult to restrict myself from digging up the ones in the ground and putting in the lush healthy looking ones still in their containers. I've been hardening those off on my porch, which only gets evening direct sun.

The ones in the ground just don't seem as healthy. Their leaves aren't as bright or as big, and some seem a little dark around the edges. I sprayed them at planting and again about 10 days later with a liquid copper. I think the ones in the containers are still fine for their root systems. So I will give the ones in the ground another week or so and see how they do. I really hope they spring back fully. Especially my yellow ones, because I only had 4 seeds of those. I may buy another 5 gallon bucket to plant one in, just as insurance.

"Patience young Skywalker". Last year we had that incredibly warm March and I set out four plants on April 1. That is four weeks early for me. Then April turned out rather cool and wet. The plants seemingly just sat there looking miserable. Then came the 70 degree days in the end of April when I set out the rest. Then... bang! Within three weeks those first plants were twice as tall as the ones I set out te end of April that were bigger. Stems were twice as thick too. You would have thought they were on steroids. Those first four plants produced first and best for the whole season.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #10
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
some seem a little dark around the edges. I sprayed them at planting and again about 10 days later with a liquid copper.
The dark around the edges are likely from the liquid copper. Any overspray will run to the edges and can burn the plant.
Old April 2, 2013   #11
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Your tomatoes may be stunned from cold or spraying, just give them a time.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #12
rweakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
The dark around the edges are likely from the liquid copper. Any overspray will run to the edges and can burn the plant.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I was spraying the heck out of them. Figured the more the better...especially since heirlooms are not prized for their disease tolerance. I guess I'll have to take it down a notch in the copper department.