Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2013   #1
Feywalker
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato experiment

Hey guys,
So after ordering a Boogie Brew kit and getting the sample kit for X-treme gardening, I started to think (dangerous). I decided to try an experiment and I would love some feedback. I currently have 3 fertilizers I know are organic and I can't seem to find if the x-treme one is. So here's the experimental design I've come up with, I still have to map out a feeding schedule based on the recommendations of each project, but I thought it might be fun.

Experimental Outline
Tomato varieties: Sleeping Lady and Anmore dewdrop (getting late to start seeds here in zone 7, so I thought early varieties might have the best chance)

2 plants (1 each variety) for each treatment

· Treatment 1: Boogie brew, worm gold plus, sea-90, and protein powder
· Treatment 2: X-treme sample kit (Mykos, x-treme tea, calcarb, Mykos WP (seed treatment))
· Treatment 3: FoxFarm – Growbig, Tigerbloom, Bigbloom (sprayed on at intervals)
· Treatment 4: Espoma vege-tome (mixed in with potting soil and top-dressed at intervals)
· Treatment 5: Plain potting soil (control)

I know #1,3,4 are organic, can’t seem to find if #2 is.
Plants will be planted in 10# root pouches. Start from seed, double seed, cut out straggler. Start seeds inside with T-5 grow light and heat mat. Start in what container? I think some eggies would work (terrerium style) Transplant to 4” pots, then to pouches.

I would really love to hear some thoughts and feedback.
Feywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #2
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a cool test Fey!

Are you aware Worm Gold + has kelp in it (# 1)?

Why are you opting for foliar application for # 3 FF nutes?
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #3
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't use potting soil I would use potting mix. I also would be concerned with cross contamination of foliar sprays, so some method of isolation would have to be used.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #4
Feywalker
Tomatovillian™

Tonio - on #3 it won't be sprayed on as foliar per se, it's just that my water hose end sprayer does the dilution and that was a reminder to me, I should have clarified, thank you. It will be sprayed into the soil (watered) though I'm thinking I may need to consider hitting the leaves too. It will be in a container, so less chance of it not drying out and getting disease?

Tapout - bad habit, it's a potting mix, I just tend to call all non-hydro/non-aero systems soil. It is in fact soilless potting mix.

Thank you guys for the input.
Feywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #5
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Best of luck on the experiment. With treatment 1-5 resulting in a best treatment scenario, you still have a ton of single components in each treatment. You could run this experiment many more times crossing different components from each treatment. Also what kind of potting mix are you using? Does it have a N-P-K rating? Is it organic and does it have a nutritional value and have any mycos in it?
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Cool experiment, unfortunately I haven't got my extreme sample kit yet!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote