Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 24, 2013   #1
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Default Who to buy seeds from question

Have always bought seedlings in the past 10 or so years, but like the idea of growing heirloom plants from seeds. Have been reading about using last years crop seeds on Tomatobase web site, but then read that customs may confiscate seeds entering the US. So question to Tville has anyone had seeds stopped? And does anyone have suggestions on what would be best for growing in central OK? Usually hot. I like cherrys, mid size and would like to try some 1 pounders.

Thanks
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

There's plenty of excellent vendors in the US that carry seeds from other countries. Take a look in the seed and plant sources forum here. There are plenty good TVille members who are listed in that forum. Also DarJones has a list of vendors on his website here
http://www.selectedplants.com/seedsupplies.htm

And tatianas tomatobase has links to vendors, and she sells seeds too.

You could also join Seed Savers Exchnge but there is a membership fee. I personally think the fee is completely worth it but check it out for yourself
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from the Tomatobase recently and the order came with no issues at all. Much quicker than I would have expected, too, given the distance!

The recommended seed vendors list is an awesome resource. You can't go wrong ordering a bunch of seeds to try! But I would recommend, based on my experience this year, picking a solid producer (even a hybrid) and putting in enough plants of it to cover your needs in case the heirlooms prove finicky.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote