Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 24, 2014   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default What to grow in a 5.5-inch tall bed?

I built a sub-irrigated bed that hold 5.5inch depth of soil. I had planned on using it for lettuce but I'm realizing now (as a newbie gardener) that lettuce will bolt in the summer?
For instance, correct me if I'm wrong, but is my baby pak choi already bolting? Our temps are from 70-mid 50s now but I guess that is too warm?

So what can I plant in this bed? I'm thinking maybe radishes and beets? and then around the beginning of fall, I can start lettuces again?

What would you all do in this scenario?

Below: Is my pak choi bolting already? I was waiting for the white parts on the bottom to get wider but I'm guessing its now or never?

Below: the planting bed - suggestions of how to utilize here?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think you can grow lettuce and spinach, but you will have to harvest often before they bolt. Essentially you'll be producing micro greens. Still makes a good salad.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hi again, your greens look perfect for eating!
5.5 inches isn't deep enough for beets but Swiss chard would do well in there and can take the heat without bolting. herbs would do great in there too.
If it was mine I would grow a beautiful large crop of basil and make and freeze a whole lot of pesto. then sow greens again for the fall
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; May 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Swiss chard, collards and basil.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Default What to grow in a 5.5-inch tall bed?

And yes, the Pak choi is bolting. You might consider covering with some shade to cool things down for these crops.
Nice structure, by the way.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Old May 25, 2014   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

The basil is a good suggestion. I have a bed similar to that I use for basil, dill and parsley through the summer. Radishes don't like heat any more than lettuce does and they get pretty pungent when the weather gets hot. Bush beans are an option. Beans have a shallow root system and don't need much depth, but can take the heat of summer. You might be able to get through the summer with chard or beets, especially if you have some shade.