Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 9, 2014   #1
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Default Fixing cracked drip pans-repair options

I have about 25 tomato and pepper plants in pots 12 of the drip pans are cracked . Even for the cheapest 17 inch pans are $7.00 each
Can I use the glue I use to seal the sprinklers fitting (Blue Glue) or something to seal these. I worry about any toxic issues. My other option is I have heavy grade plastic rolls ,I could cut to cover the drip pan.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I have an ant problem so I want to place these
and spray around the planter pan and keep the water over run.
I also looked for larger drip plans that I could use like the top of a large tote for a couple plants .
Any info thank you.
mick5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think the sealant would be fine. A tube of silicone would work, too. You can purchase silicone sold as "aquarium sealant" at pet stores. I don't know for sure that it's any different than normal silicone, but it might be worth it if you are worried about toxic glue. Just let it dry completely before using the trays. Also, sometimes it helps to rough up any plastic surface where you apply it with sandpaper or something abrasive. That makes the sealant adhere better.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #3
GaMadGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've used the regular flats, take two and put plastic between them. I would get them free at Lowes garden center.

Mad
GaMadGardener is offline   Reply With Quote