Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 6, 2015   #16
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

SunCityLinda, I am intrigued and would love to check out your brother's book! I searched on Amazon, but it wasn't obvious...
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #17
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

He is cultivation editor for Skunk Mag who, I think published it, book is called True Living Organics. its been a couple of years hopefully still in print. At that time he was published under a forum name The Rev. My brother has a partial disability and grows organically in only 4 gallon pots. I was surprised when I read his book how much some of it reminded me of similar advice I had received here.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Linda, The Rev preaching on YouTube.
He says a lot of things that I totally agree with that applies to growing any crop.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #19
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda! Ray, I agree, most of the things the Rev talked about apply to plants in general. The soilfoodweb folks have been saying this stuff for a long time. And I actually saw a National Geographic special recently called "The Secret Life of Plants" that talks about and demonstrates the plant roots finding nutrients, and excreting chemicals that either help or hinder nearby life forms.

I'm on my iPad so can't figure out how to link to YouTube, but I just discovered it's on there, and I believe it's also on Netflix. Just Google "National Geographic The Secret Life of Plants" and it will come right up. Well worth watching.

Good to know that people are finally really figuring out how to implement the soilfoodweb in containers. Also very interesting how he chooses to use smaller containers because of his bad back - very smart. I loved his comment about live earthworms in his rootballs. I used to be quite a vermicomposter/compost tea maker myself. I am now itching to get back to it. Of course we tomato growers have an advantage in that our containers are outside, innoculated by the world at large!

Last edited by wormgirl; May 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #20
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the responses. To add to the micro herd and fortify my plants I began using AmiDeutch's dip process for my in-ground plants a couple years ago. I use Actinovate and Great White instead, but they seem comparable. I did the same for my new Earthtainers and plants this season.

So, I can assume that the Earthtainer soil in upcoming seasons will have an established microherd, one that contains both the biology that I've added and native, airborne biology, for better or worse.

It seems like the soil ought to get better in the years to come?
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote